Green tint on rocks and gravel

marinereef01

I'm at a loss what could be causing this. I have a green tint on the gravel and rocks. If you notice in the pictures it's white (like it should be) where light doesn't hit the areas. Think it's my lighting? I run UV and dose NO3:p04-x. I have Radion G4 lights at 50% using the SPS AB+
e33e4b24cc4bdf87c23ae03c1d39310d.jpg
3daf297d94bccb658590e5256027e641.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know what kind of algae that is exactly, but it's most likely just a prelude to the pink/purple Coralline algae we all love so bad. While it may be unsightly, it's definitely nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
I agree that it's likely some sort of alga. If it's soft and removed easily, it might be a microbial bloom. New tanks usually go through blooms like this, so I wouldn't worry much if the tank is only a few weeks old.

Yeah it's not soft. It's essentially stained the rocks and gravel green. Maybe I'll look at adjusting the lights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's definitely some sort of algae bloom, and not coraline. I went through a similar bloom during the beginning stages of my tank. I think it had to do with lack of water changes, and overfeeding. It eventually went away when the tank matured and I cut back on feeding.

Age of tank?
Looks like green film algae thats oh so very common in new tanks..
Some people get it more than others and yes if your lights are strong that certainly adds fuel to it..

Back