Greenhouse system

jordan2871

In Memoriam
I have a GH system that has been running for about 5 or 6 months. It's a small 6 x 6 factory made GH with clear polycarb panels.

I have a 40 breeder (some LR and sand) in there and have added a 30 long. What would be more beneficial to do to the 30:

a dark DSB
a macro algae (Chaeto) filter
a dark DSB with a macro algae filter section
a lit DSB/macro filter

The 30 is on the ground used as a heat sink (for summer)and insulator for winter.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

If you already have a DSB in the 40 breeder, you may not need any more filtration. Do you have a heavy fish load in the system or just corals?

Are you near me in New Bern NC? I had to use a tremendous amount of energy to heat my little greenhouse in the winter. (6x8 with about 250 gallons of water)

No DSB in the 40 and no fish. Only coral. I am about 4 hours inland. Midstate. I thought a DSB would retain heat in winter and I am burying foam boards around the outside and interior (not buried) perimeter of the GH inaddition to the insulating boards around the tanks. I have added a 100 watt mini-dehumidifier mostly for heating.

How do think I will fair this winter?

This past winter, I ran 1000Watts of electric water heaters almost 24/7. I also burnt 80lbs of propane to take the edge off on cold nights (heaters could not keep up).

My greenhouse was an 8x6 twin wall polycarbonate from Harbor Freight. There was roughly 250 gallons of water in the system. I used sand in the top tank, but I do not think it was needed for anything other than a PH buffer. like you, I had no fish. so not much need for biological filtration.

I think the cold might surprise you. Go ahead and look into insulating your northern side of your greenhouse. I wish I had thought of that before I installed all my stuff. When I needed to do it, I did not have enough room in there to install it.

I want to do a northern style greenhouse next time.....insulated building with sunlight entering through polycarb or glass on the southern facing side.

Did you leave the vent open to exhaust moisture?

Thanks for the advice. I will keep you (and all) informed as to how I fair this winter.

no, i kept it sealed up. Just had to put a plastic grocery bag over my power strip to ward off condensation that would trip GFI circuit.

I also siliconed in my polycarb panels to seal it a bit tighter.

Back