Greensboro, NC Fish stores???

bolrog

Anybody know any good stores in the Greensboro area??? I just relocated and started to cycle my tanks here and need to stock it.

honestly Aquamains sucks. they have really gone downhill in the past year or so. their corals are way overpriced, as well as most other things. most their corals are in bad shape, or come with apitasia, or red flatworms. theres a place in Kernersville, which is about 15 min from greensboro or less. its called The Aquarium Center of NC. while they are smaller than Aquamains, they have good prices on their livestock. and their livestock is usually very healthy. we also have a club in the greensboro area PM me for the info on that. many of us have frags to sell/trade.

Thanks for the update Paintbug, I haven't lived there for a few years and that was the place to go (at the time). Yes, they were overpriced back then also, but there was no other place to go. Wish I knew about the club when I lived there.
Thanks,
Jeff

At some point you might want to consider driving to fintastic in charlotte. It is worth the drive at least once.

Brent

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8713488#post8713488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nurjrk
Thanks for the update Paintbug, I haven't lived there for a few years and that was the place to go (at the time). Yes, they were overpriced back then also, but there was no other place to go. Wish I knew about the club when I lived there.
Thanks,
Jeff

we just started up the club. so far its doing pretty good. i will agree a few years ago Aquamains was the place to go. not only because they were the only place but atleast they had quality livestock. you would never see a dead fish or algae in the tanks. now they still have good quailty fish for the most part, but their corals are sad. some of the corals they want top dollar for would be in the rescue tanks at most other stores. they recently set up a frag tank. when i first heard about it i was saying awesome, and about time. i should have known better LOL. they sell 1/2 frags, and stuff that breaks off during shipping for $20. their staff is another page of a bad story as well LOL. i keep hearing they are about to move, so hopefully once thats all finished, they can get back on track.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8713564#post8713564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hunter99991
At some point you might want to consider driving to fintastic in charlotte. It is worth the drive at least once.

Brent

i agree. i havent been there but i have herd nothing but great things about them. theres several shops withen 1-2 hours of greensboro that are awesome. just not one in greensboro.

Fintastics is a very nice store but in my opinion way overpriced on their corals. Coral Dynamics is in the Charlotte area and they have great prices. coraldynamics.com

Thanks for the info. Been to Aquamain and I agree about the prices I just couldn't find anything else around here. I'll try the one in Kernersville hopefullly the prices are better. By the way as a side note the freshwater stores around here suck too. The prices are so inflated compared to Northern VA that I'm used to.

Paintbug sending PM

was there two weekends ago for peppermint shrimp 7.99 each while better looking stock at petco was 2.49 ea.

I have been in the hobby awhile and it seems coral stores open and close frequently in Greensboro. I agree Kernersville is the best currently.

If Raleigh isn't too far of a drive for you, Reef Science just opened a retail store there. They are a few popular on-line vendor and have a sponsor forum here on RC.

Im in greensboro also. And aquamain's prices make me cry. I see alot of people in there just think its the best thing in the world and readily fork over the $$$. I guess they just have it like that.

I will check out that store in K'ville. And one day will make it to charlotte.

the reef sciences retail store lived a short life, its shutdown. Chad still runs reefscience.com, but its by appointment only, or internet.

im trying to get the next SEA-T meeting going if you triad guys are interested PM me, and i will get you the details.

If you take a trip to Raleigh/Durham I would make it a day trip. I would check out 3 stores in the area while you were there. I would check out Fish World in Raleigh(http://www.fishworldnc.com/), Reef Science in Apex(http://www.reefscience.com/), and Aquatic Conecpts in Durham(http://www.ac-nc.com/).
They are all around 15-30 mins apart. Living in Durham was much easier to buy things because you could shop at different stores. At one point there were 3 in Durham, 2 in Raleigh, 1 in Apex, 1 in Clayton, and 1 in Fuquay. All within 45 mins of each other.
I'm not a big fan of Aquamains but have bought a few things from them. Sadly I was more satisfied with my fish from the Petco on Wendover than I was with the fish i bought from aquamains.
I might make a trip to Aquarium Center this afternoon.

I like to NC people on here....I grew up in Gastonia, NC

Anyway, I second the Fintastic in Charlotte, if any of ya'll haven't been....take the trip its worth the trip.

Im bumping up this ancient thread as I am traveling to Greensboro this weekend...is there anywhere withing driving distance of here thats worth checking out???

Actually there is a new store called pet market on market road... you might have to ask but they have good fish and some really nice SPS mini colonies etc... you will not see it on the display floor but don't be afraid to ask.... I was very impressed

I really hate to necro a thread but no sense to start another. Has anyone checked out Triad Reef Critters in Greensboro on Regency Dr? They are in a new location but I've never been to their old one.

Back