griss' Tank Upgrade Thread

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Back in 2017 I bought a 40 Breeder and a 75 to replace a 92 corner bowfront. I was replacing that tank as I didn't care for the look and difficult interior maintenance of the 92. The original plan was to make the 40 a Caribbean biotope and the 75 was going to be an Indo-Pacific biotope. I got the 40 going and just never had the time/drive to set up the 75. So, the 75 has been sitting in my basement since.

We're in the process of re-doing our basement and I figured I would just upgrade the 40 into the 75 instead of having 2 tanks. I originally planned to make the 75 an in wall tank, but have since decided against that. I was looking at stands for the 75 and a cheap Aqueon was going to run $450 and a much nicer stand (can't remember the make) was going to be well over $700. Since I'm cheap, I didn't want to spend that amount.

I was visiting my Mother and step father this weekend and my tank came up in conversation. They mentioned they have an old Oceanic 75 and stand in the basement. This tank and stand are well over 30 years old and have been in storage for a million years. My mother used the tank as a terrarium at one point and to raise guinea hen chicks at another point. The top bracing is melted and cracked for heat lamp she used, the silicone is torn to pieces, and the glass is scratched up so, the tank is worthless.

The stand was a little rough and wobbly, but the 3/4" birch plywood it's made from is still solid. So, yesterday, I removed the doors and sanded it down. Then, I replaced interior fiber/resin (pegboard type material) bottom with 3/4" plywood and added 2x4's to strengthen it up.

Stand1.jpg

Stand2.jpg

Stand3.jpg

Thank God I have an air compressor and nail guns;) Next up, I'm going to cover it with a coat of Kilz and then paint it either a dark grey or black.

Then, I have to remove a wall in the basement and move the wall back about 3 feet. Once that is done, I will begin to set the 75 up and eventually move the LR and livestock over from the 40.

I have an Icecap 36XL sump I'll use, which has an integrated fuge. For skimming, I'm going to use my current eShopps cone skimmer and add an Oceanic #6 venturi skimmer I picked up on evilbay for $25. Lighting will be (2) Iwasaki 175 watt 10K MH and T5 actinics.

Oceanic Skimmer.jpg

Last edited:
No new progress to report yet. But, I may have a potential snag in the basement remodel. I realized last night that the wall I need to move (in order to put the 75 in place) contains the electrical circuit that the current tank is on :oops: When I get ready to move that wall, I'm going to first have to find a temporary electric solution (i.e. run a temp circuit) to the tank until I can get the 75 going and get the livestock transferred.

As far as I know it will not hurt anything to do a second coat if you want better coverage? I did not use Kilz on mine so I have no experience with it. I used regular primer on mine but I think I did two coats. Looks like you are off to a good start.

As far as I know it will not hurt anything to do a second coat if you want better coverage? I did not use Kilz on mine so I have no experience with it. I used regular primer on mine but I think I did two coats. Looks like you are off to a good start.
Thanks.

Almost forgot, my Mother’s tank wasn’t reef ready and my new one is. So, had to drill holes for overflow and return.
6097BDFA-8D4E-424E-9F0B-FBF823DF756A.jpeg

Haven't worked much more on the stand. I've got one coat of paint on the exterior, but got side tracked...

In order to do this upgrade, I need to move that wall in the basement. BUT, we've currently got flooring for the master bedroom stored where we need to move the wall to. It's the only spot to store the flooring currently. The last couple weekends, we've been working on the flooring and are about 75% done.

So, once the flooring in the bedroom is done (creating space to move the wall), I'll start the process of moving the wall.

Here's my to do list to get this upgrade done:
  • Finish bedroom flooring (so I can move the basement wall)
  • Move the wall in the basement
  • Add new wall between laundry area and the area that will be the fish room
  • Run new electrical circuits
  • Finish painting the stand
  • Build/Paint a hood
  • Build stand/platform for the sump
  • Put tank and sump in place
  • Plumbing
  • Build water mixing station & RO/DI storage station
  • Move RO/DI unit
  • Fill tank with RO/DI and salt
  • Bring heater/pumps/powerheads/skimmer online
  • Add base rock
  • Add sand
  • Add some seed live rock
    • Either Tampa Bay, KP or Gulf
    • Leaning toward Tampa Bay as I have KP rock in the current tank
  • Cycle
  • Transfer rock and livestock from the 40
  • Break the 40 down

Had a little time this weekend to work on the stand. Main part has 2 coats. Need to put a second coat on the trim and attach that. Then paint the doors, buy hinges and put the doors on.

Attachments

• 11370ECB-36EA-40B1-9F8A-01B4DE495985.jpeg
    11370ECB-36EA-40B1-9F8A-01B4DE495985.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
Back