Growth cycles or steady growth?

A.VOID

Premium Member
I had been experiencing slower growth over the last few weeks and then within the last week things started to grow like mad. I see daily growth and my tank's alk usage has gone through the roof.

Is this what others typically experience? I haven't made any changes to what I've been doing.

I've noticed the same thing. All of my acro's put on a good inch within 2 weeks, then for like the last month they've just sat there.

That's pretty common. What kind of corals are you talking about? I see that often, things grow in spurts. One day I look at a coral and the next it looks like it's grown everywhere.

monti caps, encrusting montis, monti digis and birdsnests are all growing like mad right now
torts kicked it up a notch too

I've always noticed a growth spurt and/or a color peak shortly after a colony has been taken out of the water and exposed to air for a bit.

That definately happened to some of my corals this fall. For example, I had a rose millie that was just sitting there for a couple months, and then suddenly within a few weeks it put on many new branches of good length. Now it is back to sitting there. I can't wait for the next series of growth spurts in my tank.

I have also noticed certain branches that just take off on their own sometimes. It irritates the heck out of me...nothing ever grows the direction I want it to.

I noticed growth cycles in my 30g as well, but in a different manner. For a time, some of the acros seemed to take off, then the caps and digis would have a boom, then some more acros and so on and so forth. It seemed like they were taking turns; I kind of assumed that it was like a little mini war going on...one week the acros were winning, the next went to the montis.

That 'cycle' started to appear after the tank was running for around 5-6 months. After that, I had the hardest time making sure my alkalinity was above 8 dKH, even with daily additions of Reef Builder, Reef Buffer, Kalkwasser, and TM Bio-Calcium (which has hydrogen carbonate in it).

Has anyone else noticed growth cycles like that?

kaserpick, I have the same odd cycles in my growout tank. My caps go, then my digis, then a few random acros, then the caps, then some other acros... it goes on and on like that. Its nice at least since the alk usage is relatively stable, but its annoying to try and figure out who is growing this week.

I don't do anything different from week to week, its just dosing alk/ca and water changes.

Yes, my alk is getting hammered right now. I thought I up'd it enough but it was back under 8 again today. Bumping another 10% again. Good grief.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13961211#post13961211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acrylic_300
I have also noticed certain branches that just take off on their own sometimes. It irritates the heck out of me...nothing ever grows the direction I want it to.

LOL.. I hear that

ive noticed that my ponape and stags seem to grow faster when my tank is at a lower temp... during the summer they hardly make any changes, the second winter comes- i get a massive spurt.. kinda weird.

Back