GRRrr...THIS REALLY TICKED ME OFF!!!

derick2724

In Memoriam
MAN I AM SO ****ED OFF AT THE CHEAP ODYSSEA POWERHEAD I BOUGHT!!! IT SHOCKED MY NEW LIVE ROCKS THAT I JUST GOT FROM CLOWN2BE. the snails and the crabs i got from him, i don't know what happen to it maybe its dead too, do i need to dig to find their dead body or no?

I need help on what to do to cure it back now guys...

Re: GRRrr...THIS REALLY TICKED ME OFF!!!

the snails and the crabs i got from him, i don't know what happen to it maybe its dead too, do i need to dig to find their dead body or no?

And you can't shock live rock and kill it unles you put a hair dryer in your tank that was plug in.:eek1:

Last edited:
Eric trust me that freakin powerhead had a power shortage and shock my whole trashcan of the live rocks in there, when i stuck my finger in there it shocked me but i thought it was just one of those moment your body had too much electric static, but It was too late when i finally found out it was the powerhead.

Man I loved that snail and crab was in there seeing it craw around, now that its dead :(

HOW DO YOU KILL LIVEROCK BESIDE LEAVING IT OUT OF WATER AND IN THE SUN TO DRY? SORRY ABOUT YOUR LOSES. MIGHT WANT TO CALL ODYSSEA

first off, i do apologize for using caps earlier as i was doing work. second this makes no sense at all to me as how electricity can kill live rocks. Thirdly i did not know that the owner or owners of odyssea is running away from their debtors. Fourth it does not make sense as to why you would buy a product knowing that you can't get your money back or call and complain or even have some kind of backing to it. Fifth once again i just want to say i do sympathize with you on the lose of your inverts.

I say just throw them in the tank.. I personally don't buy into this "curing" stuff. It will get seeded as time goes. If you have an established system you might not even see a tiny spike.

Just throw em in..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11649308#post11649308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
I say just throw them in the tank.. I personally don't buy into this "curing" stuff. It will get seeded as time goes. If you have an established system you might not even see a tiny spike.

Just throw em in..

I say the same thing :D

stray voltage doesn't kill your crab and snail...the amonia in the trash can kill your crab and snail. A lot of people have stray voltage in their reef tank and most have no problem. When you cure your rock it release a lot of amonia there fore your crab and snail die.

the how come when i stick my hand in it tasered me...so what should i do now? it is currently in a 60 gallons empty tank running with another powerhead and a heater at 74 degree, yesterday i saw a few creatures crawling around but today absolutely no living things moving around at all...The snail and crabs all die, it was living healthy until i got home from the chinese new year spectacular in Nokia's theatre :mad:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11650594#post11650594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by derick2724
the how come when i stick my hand in it tasered me...so what should i do now? it is currently in a 60 gallons empty tank running with another powerhead and a heater at 74 degree, yesterday i saw a few creatures crawling around but today absolutely no living things moving around at all...The snail and crabs all die, it was living healthy until i got home from the chinese new year spectacular in Nokia's theatre :mad:

you should just leave your rock and let it go through the cycling process. then once all your parameters are stable, you can start adding a CUC and all the other goodies. Till then you can finish up purchasing all your equipments if you haven't ex. lightings skimmer etc etc etc.

He does not need to cure the rock. Its right out of my tank that has been running for over 5 years.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11650594#post11650594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by derick2724
the how come when i stick my hand in it tasered me...

Because you're stepping on earth ground, therefore you complete the circuit.

so what should i do now? it is currently in a 60 gallons empty tank running with another powerhead and a heater at 74 degree

Too cold... bump it up to around 78-80. If it came from an established system, I say you're ready to roll.

yesterday i saw a few creatures crawling around but today absolutely no living things moving around at all...

You mean, like the tiny snails? I have like billions of them in my tank.. no big deal if they die IMO. Just put them in your tank and in about a month, you will see different kinds of stuff crawling around. It might look dead from the outside but I'm 100% sure there are living hitchhikers inside the rock (unless you let it dry for 1 year or something..)

Derick obviously you are confuse about reef keeping and how to set up your reef tank. I suggest you start a thread in the (new to hobby forum) describe every equipment that you own and what type of tank you want to set up then people will help you out. Otherwise you will get more frustrated with problems.

i dont understand why you would have to cure rock that came out of an already established tank???
and why the inverts couldnt go straight in to the tank

Power Shortage???

Power Shortage???

Trying to read into your posts I'm not quite certain what exactly happened, but I think electrocution is pretty low on the list of possibilities. Here's just a few things that I'd consider first before blaming the pump:
  1. Water parameters were poor
  2. Water too cold
  3. LR was left out of water
  4. Leftover ramen wasn't cleaned out of the trashcan
    (might be okay if it was shrimp flavored :p)
  5. Copper, oil, etc leaking from pump
  6. All is fine, but posting on RC about vendors and their supposed bad debts is a fun way to air out gripes you have with them. [/list=1]Notice I never got around to listing an electrical short (shortage? :lol: ). The point is that if there was enough current running through your water and LR to kill the critters, you probably would have felt a lot more than a moment of static shock. To my knowledge electricity won't uncure rock. If your rock truly is in need of being cured again and things are dying off then its more likely due to contamination from the trash can, cold water, bad parameters, or all of the above. If you don't have a tank ready for the rock then I'd keep it in a container with lots of circulation and a heater. And if you already know that a brand of pump has a chance of being defective, then don't use it. I'm no expert, but that's what I would do.

i just moved the rocks to a 60 gallons glass tank (temporary due to my 144gallons is no where being ready just yet) and I just bought a Maxijet 1200 for good circulation flow and the temp i've raised up to 78degrees. its not that i want to cure the rock it just that i want to keep it still alive while my tank is being fixed in the mean time.

Back