Gumdrop Coral Crouchers

melbell86

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post some pictures of my gumdrop coral croucher pair. I have had them for about 5 months now and they are doing great. They were very shy at first but come out often for food. They both love my birdsnest corals, and sit in them all day. If anyone else has pictures please share I would love to see some other gumdrops since they seem to one of the rarer fishes.

407167_10150515963587549_554147548_9089205_929707535_n.jpg

424803_10150608342722549_554147548_9373158_2115754213_n.jpg

045-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

they are in the scorpion fish family so somewhat closely related to anglers. they kind of remind me of tiny anglers, the way they clumsily "swim" :lmao:. I had to spot feed them at first (frozen mysis) with the turkey baster, but now that they are more comfortable, they will swim out from their coral and get food floating in the water column. Really cool little guys!

here is a video of me feeding them!
http://youtu.be/PbIs7opS4aU

they are in the scorpion fish family so somewhat closely related to anglers. they kind of remind me of tiny anglers, the way they clumsily "swim" :lmao:. I had to spot feed them at first (frozen mysis) with the turkey baster, but now that they are more comfortable, they will swim out from their coral and get food floating in the water column. Really cool little guys!

here is a video of me feeding them!
http://youtu.be/PbIs7opS4aU

Nice video and very beautiful fish! Now I want to add a pair of these to my tank as well! I have always wanted a scorpion or angler fish, but didn't want anything that would eat my other fish. Now you have shown me a solution :beer:

Does your valentini puffer nip at your SPS? My blue spotted puffer loved any and all SPS. My mixed LPS/SPS/softy reef became a LPS/softy reef after I added him.

Nice video and very beautiful fish! Now I want to add a pair of these to my tank as well! I have always wanted a scorpion or angler fish, but didn't want anything that would eat my other fish. Now you have shown me a solution :beer:

Does your valentini puffer nip at your SPS? My blue spotted puffer loved any and all SPS. My mixed LPS/SPS/softy reef became a LPS/softy reef after I added him.

I hope you get some! they pop up in divers den on liveaquaria every once in a while. They are usually around $39 each.

As far as my puffer, sadly, he has begun nipping some of my sps. He particularly seems to like montipora digitata. I added a few frags and the ends were nipped in minutes so i had to take them out and put them in our other tank. He doesnt seem to care for my birdnests or pocillopora, i havent seen him nip at those or seen any damage since i got him about 3 months ago. I knew when i got him he might nip, but i just told myself he wouldnt cause he was so cute and I wanted him :headwally: oh well!

Very neat fish! Does their "perching" damage the coral at all?

their perching does not damage the corals at all. I have read that they can spawn in the aquarium, and will lay eggs on the undersides of acro's, which can damage them but I havent experienced that with mine.

Those are great looking little fish. I have a green and red clown goby that perches within the branches of one of my caulestreas. Cool!!

I've had a pair since X-mas that I got from DD. They pretty much just hide until I feed them. :eek:

redleaf025.jpg

2-15001.jpg

Camera1-8216.jpg

The best picture I have of them together:
DSC02512.jpg

Those are really cool! I saw some on divers den last night actually! Thinking about adding a pair now

I guess someone already bought them lol. As soon as I read that, I started searching and couldn't find them anymore.

@AlexS95 - I really like those pictures. The 2nd and 3rd picture really shows some amazing detail.

Thanks! And DD has put up a couple of these every week for what seems like a month or two. You shouldn't have a problem trying to get one from them.

I've had a pair since X-mas that I got from DD. They pretty much just hide until I feed them. :eek:

Do you have any branching bush type sps like birdsnests? They seem to really enjoy these types of corals and will stay in them in plain view all day. When the OP and i first got the two crouchers we had them in our nano tank with no corals and we almost never saw them unless they saw the turkey baster.

@AlexS95 those guys are so cute! I love how they have fuzzy "beards" :) Yeah, they really LOVE the birdsnest corals. They hang out in them all day, and switch between different ones so I get to see them more now. I suggest trying one out!

Yes keep checking Divers Den! I have been seeing them in there a lot lately, but they usually disappear quickly! I will keep an eye out and post here if I see some. They are really awesome little guys. I love the clown gobies as well, our LFS has a really big greenish yellow one and I always want to take him home.

I'll see if I can get a frag of birdsnest somewhere...

There will be a Croucher on DD tonight.

Hmm... it seems I cannot get liveaquaria or DD to load at the moment, just my luck :headwallblue:. Just a question, how do you know when DD gets stock in? Do they have an email notification similar to Bluezoo?

Back