Gyre placement in 120

billdogg

I'm thinking real hard about a pair of gyre 250's for my 120. They are 20% off and Marine Depot today. The price makes it very tempting. I'm just not too sure I want them on the sides - I'd rather put them on the back on either side of my center overflow, but my return comes in on one side about 3" below the surface.

How close to the surface is too close, and, How far down is too far?

Any help much appreciated!!!

marinelife

I went vertical with mine, I have a 280 in the back corner and another in the front corner on the other end of my tank. This are great pumps and at 20% off you can not beat it.
I see several places doing that with these pumps.

wfv57

How close to the surface will depend on how high you run the output.If you try to run at high output within about a inch of surface it will suck air from the surface. In my 120 a single pump not only meets my needs i don't even run it wide open. I also bought two and now keep one as a spare.

billdogg

How close to the surface will depend on how high you run the output.If you try to run at high output within about a inch of surface it will suck air from the surface. In my 120 a single pump not only meets my needs i don't even run it wide open. I also bought two and now keep one as a spare.

Where is yours mounted? Horizontal or vertical?

Mishri

Yeah I'm planning on ordering a pair for my 300 gallon today too.. I currently run mine horizontal, about 4" from the top of the tank.

marinelife

I would just watch them for the first few days, run them low and watch what is stirred up. I stirred up something in my tank and look am down 3 fish right now from bacteria infections. Mine moved to much sand around.

Rybren

I run a cp-40 vertically and have it pulsing water along the back of my 120. The bottom of the pump is about 4" above the sandbed. It does push a bit of sand, but nothing significant.

I also have two RW-8s controlled by my Apex that push water from the back corners to the front centre of the tank.