H. Magnifica in mixed reef

Swayze27

I have a new magnifica that did well in my 120 for about two weeks or so then started to look not deflated but not 100 percent. I removed it and placed it in my 32 biocube just in case I had to implement treatment it would be easily accessible. It has since thrived like crazy and has the traditional pedestal type stance with good tentacle extension and a tightly closed mouth. The water quality, movement, lighting etc. are pretty much the same in both tanks. The only difference is the biocube only houses a haddoni carpet and no corals. I have mostly softies, leathers, shrooms, etc. in the main reef, so can these other corals just not mix well with the mag. Seems like when I had my old mags a similar event happened. I always thought it was because I introduced a gig that wasn't in the best of shape that took my other mags out, now I wonder if some type of chemical warfare was the culprit. Anyone have similar experience or thoughts?

F34A7392-B6C4-4362-B698-ACCF14BB7C11.jpg

I keep multiple Magnifica, Gigantea, Haddoni in mixed reefs thriving for years. I also keep them touching each other, different species, and thriving for years.
These anemones are difficult to keep. Many died, instead of admitted that they was not successfully keep them for one reason or another, many reefers just chalk it up to "chemical warfare" which is a bogus concept IMO.

It's just odd to have two tanks using same rock, sand,salt, water, parameters same, flow similar, lighting similar, and see an anemone or coral thrive in one but not the other. But other coral and anemone also thrive in the other. This hobby is weird lol

But in reality, I think it was the sick gig that took out my two other mags as they thrived until it was introduced. This current mag I feel was still in its acclimating phase in the 120 and I may have been panicking a little and feared treatment was inevitable. It never deflated but did get strange looking once but I think it was only forcing out a piece of a shrimp I fed it (probably fed too soon). After that, it's looked great.

I keep multiple Magnifica, Gigantea, Haddoni in mixed reefs thriving for years. I also keep them touching each other, different species, and thriving for years.
These anemones are difficult to keep. Many died, instead of admitted that they was not successfully keep them for one reason or another, many reefers just chalk it up to "chemical warfare" which is a bogus concept IMO.

What are your thoughts on a Merten and a Ritteri touching?

Your nems are always awesome to look at.

Back