had a yellow tang die - specific gravity high = 1.26 - could that ALONE be why ?

Re: had a yellow tang die - specific gravity high = 1.26 - could that ALONE be why ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6918036#post6918036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 3bavboys

1.26 would EXTREAMLY high ... the specific gravity of the Dead Sea is 1.166, and they don't call it the Dead Sea for nothing.

However, if you ment 1.026 would be fine for your tang to my knowledge.

unless it was a very fast rise in salinity, that was not the killing blow. I keep my tank at 1.026. Have you done any other testing?

Yes, if sg at the lfs was in the low 20s, raising it 4 or 5 points in 20 minutes could be the cause of death.

Fish take to lowering the sg quickly better than raising it quickly.

I always drip acclimate for about 2 hours.

1.026 is fine for SG. That's what I target for my reefs.

For acclimation, it's best to measure the SG in the bag, and the tank, and plan from there. Dripping for 20 minutes might not work well if the difference in SG is high enough. For example, if the drip doubled the volume in the bag, it would move the SG to exactly halfway to the tank's SG. Depending on the difference, that still might be quite a shock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6918507#post6918507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
1.026 is fine for SG. That's what I target for my reefs.

Right. I didn't mean to suggest that 1.026 was bad. Just that many lfs keep their water as low as possible to save on salt and that a longer acclimation procedure is required when the difference is more than a point or two.

ummm, how many fish do you have in the tank-that you got ten days ago, and were advised not to get as many fish as you did for...

I remember, 2 clowns a naso tang, and a yellow tang.

one dies.

three left. I bet the ammonia is pretty high, the naso tang is next to go...

you HAVE TO go slower!!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6935030#post6935030 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Swanwillow
ummm, how many fish do you have in the tank-that you got ten days ago, and were advised not to get as many fish as you did for...

I remember, 2 clowns a naso tang, and a yellow tang.

one dies.

three left. I bet the ammonia is pretty high, the naso tang is next to go...

you HAVE TO go slower!!!!

Wow, I was about to disagree with you about the amount of fish because it's all in a 125. But then I saw the "10 day old tank" part.

You haven't even gone though your cylce most likely. The only thing killing your fish is lack of patience. That will kill of lots of stuff, and your wallet.

oh, that amount of fish is fine in that size tank... but just NOT THIS SOON!!!!!

thats ALL I was saying. and reading her other posts, shes having salinity problems, with it being 1.028 a few days ago...

I'd like to see what the ammonia REALLY tests at now, without the LFS just telling her 'its fine' I want the REAL numbers for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and the PH

naso tang did die
lfs owner admitted to me that he had an overload on his system - all his fish got stressed out and he lost ALL of his lifestock - due to an error (very clostly one) his son made at the store
my 2 tangs will be replaced (at his cost) later this week
pr of clowns doing very well , so far
test kits ordered last week should be here today

clowns

clowns

Clowns are really hardy fish. I would ask the LFS to hold these new tangs for a week after they get them in, giving you two weeks to get things sorted. You will have ammonia from the fish dying, so you've goto give that time to run through the system. Test with your kits when you get them, but please don't add any more fish for a couple of weeks and give the system time to settle, it would be a pitty for anymore to die. Remember to test the Salinity of the bag before you aclimate the fish as stated above. You might find a refractometer a little more acurate for getting your Salinity.

I'd have them hold the fish for a while, too, maybe more like 2-3 weeks. I would also avoid taking any advice from them in the future. That's just too ignorant, IMO.

Back