hair algae.. grrr

jeffgnz

I have some hair algae not too bad but annoying nonetheless. Mostly appears on my back wall, and several pieces of rock, gravel and a film appears on my glass even 1 day after i clean it. I am using RO water which my TDS meter reads at 2ppm and I have a DI filter showing up to add to my unit hoping it will bring it down to 0ppm. I am now running Rowaphos in a phosban 150 reactor (twice the recommended about 4-5 inches worth. it looks nice and fluidized. This is my second batch of rowaphos. 1st batch ran for 3 weeks with no effect, this 2nd batch has been running for a week and the algae is growing as strong as ever. Not sure what to do. All water params are spot on, my total water volume is about 70 gallons max.

15hyhk2.jpg

Your tank looks beautiful, i love the coraline growth on those rocks.

Looks like your doing everything right, have you tried increasing your flow? Blowing off detritus off the rocks with a turkey baster? How is your clean up crew looking? How old are your lights?

lovely set up looks gorgeous, as bees mentioned what cuc have you got and how many, i cant imagine what else could be the problem with your tank looing at the overall set up, may be a case of not enough cuc critters, good job though wish mine was like that

Thanks for the comments. My tank has been running for 4 months now so taking it slow. I hope the coraline spreads to the other rocks, I have a bottle of purple up arriving any day that might do the trick. Unfortunately I barely have any cuc. I'm in new zealand and nearly everything is on the biosecurity ban list. I have a bristle worm, tons of tiny snails, a few tiny starfish and about 5 snails that appear to be ones that will grow big but might be a year at the current rate. I almost scored a few hair algae munching sea hares the other day but the deal fell through :( It's next to impossible getting a cuc here which is a huge bummer..

Back