Hair Algae outbreak (2yr tank)

Gtstricky

Well I am getting frustrated. I have hair algae everywhere now. It started in my overflow about 2 months ago. It id not seem like a big deal. I cleaned it out.

Now I have it in the DT, sump, and fuge.

My params are fine, my RO/DI is working fine (checked with a new meter). I have done water changes, ran carbon and Phosban, and I pull out a bag of it every few days. My cheto is not growing very well (lack of food and it is clogged with the hair algae).

The only change I can think of is that my CUC has dwindled over the last year as a mantis has been eating them. I did replenish it a few weeks ago but still no luck. Oh and my lawmower benny killed himself last week (long after this problem started).

HELP.

My thought tonight is to do a full cleaning. Pull the rock and scrub it and clean out the fug and sump. Any other ideas?

I would first find the mantis and what rock it's hiding in. Take the rock out (carefully) and put it suspended in a tub or container . Then pour club soda all over the rock and watch mr. mantis come flying out of there. I had one in my old tank and I eventually got tired of him munching on my snails and hermits. At 1.99 at my LFS for most snails, it got expensive and it makes it hard to keep a stable clean up crew.

I am assuming you don't want the mantis in your DT. Once that is taken care of you can focus on your HA problem. I'd also take a look at how much you are feeding and what you are feeding as well as the other usual husbandry steps.

I have spent many a weekend hunting that bastard. I still do not know where he lives (it is somewhere in the back where I can not see). I have pulled all the rocks out and done the club soda trick only to no avail.

Anyway... I will try vodka. Both for me and the tank.

Back