Hair Algae problem!!!!!!

Alexwilson1337

I've been battling green hair algae for months now and this is the last place im turning to, I've scrubbed my rocks killed the rocks with fresh water then let them stay out in the sun for a month and recycled them with bacteria and fresh water, I've sucked up the algae, I've got to zero light for weeks at a time, I've tried snails crabs, and a uv sterilizer, short of chemicals and new rock anyone else have suggestions?

You didn't kill your rocks when you did that. All the dieoff is feeding algae and leeching into the water. You should have done a muriatic acid / bleach wash( do not mix the 2, you do it separately)

What are you doing for top-off water?

How old is the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

using r/o water I've got phosphate remover and chemipure in the filter system too everything tests normal idk whats going on, the its around 6 years old by now

Last edited:
using r/o water I've got phosphate remover and chemipure in the filter system too everything tests normal idk whats going on, the its around 6 years old by now

6 years? You can clean the rock but are you sure they are the problem? If not, will just come back stronger.

Something wrong with water, you say test normal, do you start with 0 TDS RODI water, what is your nitrate and phosphate numbers, how long have these numbers remained stable, what lights, how long is the photoperiod, no sunlight hitting tank correct, how much live rock, what's water change frequency......a pic???

For example, My nitrate is 2-5ppm and phosphate is 0.05 - 0.07, use RODI 0 TDS, LED lights, on 8 hours at 50% intensity, carbon dose NoPox, change 10% water weekly.

These answers may help members zero in on a cause, as shown above there are many.

Last edited:
I have fluval sea 2.0 lights usually running at pretty high intensity which I guess could be the problem cuz im pretty frequent about water changes

Yes, too much intensity, too long imay be a contributor.
But what's your nitrate and phosphate numbers, nutrients are the other contributors.
Sorry, but you should know these two numbers, these, plus light, plus newer tanks = algae.
You say battling for months, how long has this tank been running....

Btw...not familiar with your lights....are they LED, Halide, of T5?
Old T5's notorious for algae growth as they colour shift to the red spectrum.

Yea 6 years doesn't make sense then.

When did you take the rock out and clean it?

Is your tds at zero in the top off water?

What's your Po4 testing at? You have something constantly fueling them if you've had this issue for that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back