Hair Algae

bigmc66

I have a relatively new reef set up. It has been running about 7 months. I had a nice growth of coralline algae on the live rock & rear glass, etc. I initially had a problem with diatoms, which eventually subsided, followed by a cyno bloom. The cyno algae is now beginning to fade, and I am now seeing an increase in hair algae. Also, some of the coralline algae is starting to turn white. Is this a natural progression in a newer set-up or am I missing something? My levels are as follows: Ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-0, Ph-8.15, Sp. Gr. 1.025, Temp. 77.9, dKH-9, Calcium-380. Phosphate is about 0.03 but I'm not sure that I trust the test results. 54G RR aquarium, 130W PC lighting, sump, 2 Koralia 2's, Aqua C Remora skimmer, 40 lbs LR.

Looks like your tank is good but here is some advice:

To grow more coralline increase calcium to 400-450 ppm

To control and maybe (it doesn't go away) eliminate hair algae control phosphates via phosphate sponge in a media reactor (mine is 1 ppm ans algae is kinda out of hand but at 3 ppm i can't image what could happen).

Your tank is going through the usual cycle. the coraline might be getting smothered by the hair algae, or it might be because your calcium is a little low. Remove the hair algae by hand because thats a simple and cheap way to get it out, and then check your phosphates and nitrates again just to make sure there isn't more of one or the other since the hair algae is growing, although it doesn't take much. I don't know if you have fish in there or not, but make sure you are not over feeding as that will create more nitrates and phosphates, in turn making that hair algae grow. Otherwise you can add a small clean up crew to help with your algae, and since your levels are all good the hair algae shouldn't take over.

Good to know this is a usual cycle. I only have two false percs, a gramma, firefish, and banner cardinal. I have 3 emerald crabs that eat some of the hair algae, and a few red and blue leg hermits. Any other clean up crew additions recommended?

If you can find them, I have had really good luck with limpets. Problem is they usually are just hitchhikers. For some reason they are hard to find even though they are super easy to take care of and super effective at removing algae. If you can find some online I would recommend them. Don't get them confused with abolones or chintins, they are different and shouldn't be expensive at all.

Back