Halimedia, works for me

brad

I have some Halimidia that grew on its own from fiji live rock. It grows well for me. It isn't invicible, and often large parts disintegrate, but I don't think I've ever killed a whole plant once it attached to rock.

My problem is I have trouble giving it away. I don't mean people don't want it - they do, but it usually dies in their tanks. Most people tell me it is hard to transfer between tanks, or it is hard to keep. I have it in several tanks.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Am I doing something wrong? Are they? I like my Halimidia, and think everyone should have some.

Well, halimeda needs decent light and high calcium to start with. And I am also pretty sure it doesn't frag well unless you take some roots with the plant you are giving up.

I'm not a big fan of a green plant that sucks calcium down like a breakfast drink and grows like a fiend once established, but to each his own. :)

S !

I agree with Python. IME, it usually dies after being pruned, though I have had some success when placing it in the sand (in the same tank) to heal for a bit, and then transfering it. If you want to take some out that will transfer a little better, get the entire holdfast off the rock...maybe even chip off some of the rock with it. This stuff spread really fast in my tank, so it was no big deal to remove a few holdfasts each time i thinned it out.
Also, make sure whoever you give it to has similar lighting and make sure they give it a while to acclimate.

I've got two specie of halimeda and both grow well. I routinely prune them back and restart them with no problems. I make a large exchange (30% and more) of NSW in my tank every 6-10 weeks. I also add chelated iron, daily. I use limewater for makeup and no Ca reactor. Its an easier plant, IMO.

Back