Halmedia, help me get rid of it

shag26272

Halmedia.. Help me get rid of it

I need to get rid of this stuff , its out of control, it grows roots through the sand and is coming out of all my rocks, what can I add to my tank to get rid of it?? The tank is a 6 gallon BTW.

000_0026.jpg

Wow, cool! I've tried growing halimeda a few times with little success. I actually like the look. Anyways to get rid of it you have to rip the roots out or else they'll just keep growing, if given healthy conditions which I guess you have. You may have to take everything out of your tank to do it though.

Not sure about how to get ride of this stuff for good. I had a friend who had some growin in his tank near some zoas. He took all of it out and put it in a small 2.5g tank. This stuff filled it up in less than a month. I heard it' not a bad algae, but can grow pretty quickly. Wish i could offer more info. If you have a sump i guess you could put some in it and let it grow. Not sure what happens if it dies off...

I know its not bad but I think its sucking up my Calcium , I dont have a sump or refugium otherwise I would keep it it gets to the point where it blocks the light from the corals and I hate to keep putting my hands in the tank to pull it out

yeh.. halimeda is calcium based, and needs calcium to grow well. also, the old "leaves" that drop off are supposed to actually help replenishing some calcium.

anyways, the only removal is by hand, there arent any known predators of it. It tends to have a horrible taste because it is calcium based, and said to be a little toxic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9260359#post9260359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shag26272
I know its not bad but I think its sucking up my Calcium , I dont have a sump or refugium otherwise I would keep it it gets to the point where it blocks the light from the corals and I hate to keep putting my hands in the tank to pull it out

Halimeda definitely does put a drain on your calcium.

Supposedly, Sacoglossan slugs are the only predator that may have some effect on their growth but I have no idea where you could get any.

Back