Hammer coral tips spreading?

AlexR

Premium Member
My hammer coral looks great and healthy to me.
It's been growing like mad. I got it the size of a baseball and now it's almost a soccer ball size after 9 months or so.

I have recently noticed what looks like small hammer coral tips floating around the aquarium.
Is this normal?

This was just taken today with no filters on my iPhone.
60a6fcb0e620dfa09c9b74ffb50da017.jpg

You may have a nipper. But more likely you may have some peeling at the base of the polyps from too much uni-directional flow. You need to look closely when the polyps are retracted to see if the polyps are peeling away from the trunk.

Just saying. This is how this sort of thing starts. Next thing you know, you are getting out the net. Too much uni-directional flow is a killer for hammers.

You may have a nipper. But more likely you may have some peeling at the base of the polyps from too much uni-directional flow. You need to look closely when the polyps are retracted to see if the polyps are peeling away from the trunk.

Just saying. This is how this sort of thing starts. Next thing you know, you are getting out the net. Too much uni-directional flow is a killer for hammers.

It's hosting my clown. Does not look irritated at all and I see no missing heads. Nothing else really gets close to it.

The clownfish may be nipping tips while she does her "maintenance." I've seen them nip anemones, so I'd imagine they'll do that in anything.

Back