Hammer Diesease?

Etkelly22

Anyone know what is going on here? It’s a creamish, almost pink coloration.

Attachments

• CA39E230-188C-432A-B8D8-41DBC3DBC533.jpeg
    CA39E230-188C-432A-B8D8-41DBC3DBC533.jpeg
    935.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 75799E7A-B89C-41A8-A7B7-9D04262AB10A.jpeg
    75799E7A-B89C-41A8-A7B7-9D04262AB10A.jpeg
    767.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 8F2A1626-32EC-4AA5-B6F5-420D1E2268D3.jpeg
    8F2A1626-32EC-4AA5-B6F5-420D1E2268D3.jpeg
    939.6 KB · Views: 22
I have had LPS (hammers, torches and lobos) melt away, but never really knew why. I am far from being a coral disease or pest expert. Could be irritation from a pest, etc. White lite photos would be a big help for all of is though.

If it were me - I would likely cut that head off and separate the two by a fair distance. I don't know if it will help, but it likely will not hurt. Cut them low enough that there is no live tissue being severed in the stem. I would also take a few minutes and examine the damaged had to see if there is parasite or hitchhiker bothering it or eating it.

@BeanAnimal @kharmaguru @mtnbike101 @MtnDewMan @reefing102

Calling in the troops😂. I haven’t kept LPS is a while, but is brown jelly disease still a thing? I remember it being a big deal with LPS back in the 90’s.
Yes it's still a thing. Aquabiomics says it's caused by an arcobacter bacteria and treats it with an antibiotic. I've personally stopped it on two frogspawn heads with a hydrogen peroxide bath but they grow deformed afterwards. Most people just suck out the goo and melting tissue or cut the bad heads off as Bean said. Definitely don't let the goo get on other heads.

Agreed with all of the above. White light pics will definitely help. Brown jelly disease is still a thing and likely culprit. I’ve also heard an iodine dip can help to stop it but don’t know the ratio. Usually the best is to frag the head off as @BeanAnimal said.

I have some torches and one of them succumed to slowly disintegrating. I didn't see any brown jelly but did see what appeard to be internal flesh (without whiter pics it is hard to see if that is internal flesh or a gelatin on it). I am guessing that head is too far gone to be saved, but I am not an expert on saving them.

I'd echo what others have said, frag that portion and QT if possible. If you have CoralRx, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, try a hydrogen peroxide dip...search for the recommended ratio!

Tell us about your system (lighting, flow, etc.)
Tell us about water parameters (spg, alk, ph, etc.)

Here's a link to proper care via Tidal Gardens...always a good resource.

Back