Hammer Help

Djbeasley05

74e86b156e14fc885a6f7232b438faf9.jpg

This hammer was beautiful before I moved it to another tank. All nutrients were the same except calcium was lower in the new tank, nitrates were lower in the new tank and lighting is stronger in the new tank. I'm put my lighting on acclimation mode, slowly raising calcium and nitrates are fine. Which of these can cause this hammer to recede all the way back and is it salvageable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks dead to me..
those types of corals can be really temperamental to changes from my experience..

Its basically impossible to know what it didn't like..

Out of all those things I would bet on too intense light

If there is a tiny bit of life on it then you may have a slim chance of bringing it back... very slim chance at the point it's already but I wouldn't toss it until there is absolutely no color or life left

Wow. What fish and inverts do you have in the system? Looks like something ate it. Got emerald crabs?

Just turbo snails, cleaner shrimp and two clowns. I just upgraded the tanks and moved everything over. Nothing else changed so I'm thinking I burned them out with lighting change

What light is on the new tank? I would say light as well. Save the skeleton, it could grow new heads in the future.

What light is on the new tank? I would say light as well. Save the skeleton, it could grow new heads in the future.

Went from two kessil a80s to two a160s. I thought I would be safe with the increased depth of the tank so I didn't acclimate the coral like I should have. Terrible lesson to learn on my end.

I hate to say it, but your hammer corals are gone. There are no more polyps left.

I have lost lots of hammer corals buds over the past few months. I really still have no idea why. Definitely not nutrients, water quality or lighting.

If I had to guess, it was some pest(s) that got to them or possibly too much flow that damaged the polyps. If you research hammer corals, there are a lot of threads with people having the same problem. No one really has an answer why they do well, then all of sudden wither, polyps retract, then eventually fall out.
I had inherited my hammer colony, but after it dies off I will not be buying this type of coral again.

I also have had an unhappy hammer that was slowly receding with no growth, even though other corals (including another Euphyllia) were doing fine. Moving it to near total shade helped it turn around. My tank is a 34g Solana with Kessil A360 peaking at 70%

Back