Hang On Back Refugiums

Sherry34

Who has experience using a Hang On Back Refugium? What kind do you have? Do you like it? Where did you buy it?

I have one of the cpr ones on my 125 and wouldnt ever do another tank without one. The thing is a pod factory and I also use it to acclimate new fish. The other fish can see it and he the other but no chance of hurting each other and same water quality. I bought it used from Arik a little over a year ago.

I am building one, 24Lx15Hx4W, I am in the process of putting in the baffles, this will go for my 55 gal tank as I can put in a sump inder the tank.

I used an aquaclear 110 (Filters 500 gph). Took all the items out of the filter and dumped in Live Rock. Good for POD production. Purchased online for around $40. Just upgraded to a Overflow/Sump setup.

Landolakes,

Does the water from the tank feed into the HOB Refugium and from there back to the tank?

I have an under the tank sump, but want to refugium for pod production and also to help keep nitrates down. If I put the refugium in the sump the pods will get sucked up through a pump and be dead by the time they hit the tank.

Also, is the lighting for your tank enough for the refugium too?

My lighting is all open and about 12" off the top of the tank.

Thank You!

You can use some of the sump return flow to feed into the HOB fuge and let it gravity feed into the tank. You can also use a power head in the tank to feed the fuge.

If possible, block the tank light from reaching the refugium and light it separately, at opposite times. This will help balance PH. The lighting needs of the macro algae are not hard to satisfy so you can go to lowes/Home depot and get a grow light, or use older bulbs etc. to save cost.

I found it difficult to screen the light from the hang on back from the system so I also have a fuge in the sump with opposite lighting schedules. I have a small pc that comes with the fuge but I forget to turn it on most of the time (no timer) and it gets enough light from the system.

Is there a way to make a HOB refugium using acrylic? Maybe a DIY Thread on them? Or a knowledgeable person on Reef Central might know how to assemble one? :D

Thanks!

Sherry, that is what I am doing, making my own HOB fuge. I am adding the baffles and have to drill one hole but then I am all set. I will try and get some Pics for you.

Go to the melev meet :D

I am going to build a HOB out of acrylic for my new 55 setup after that meet. I painted the back of the tank black and I will probably light the fuge from behind rather than above. I doubt the algae will complain :)

I would love to see the pictures ~ thank you! How much do you figure it is costing you to make it? What kind of supplies do you need for it?

I need to check the date on the melev meeting, but would love to come to it. My daughter is going for her second degree black belt right now and it pretty much takes up my nights and weekends until June 2nd. If I can come I will.

Back