Hang on skimmer

for 140 gallons, I'd try and find room for either an external, or the Tunze 9010. The 9010 could go in the return section as long as the water level stays at 3" or above. To install an external, you'd need to put in bulkheads in the sump. If you got a recirculating skimmer, you could direct feed it from your drain - at least part of the flow, anyway. The easiest would probably be going with the 9010, which is an excellent skimmer.

If you have room in the cabinet, you could add a rubbermaid as you suggest. You could put it at a level where the water is above the level in the sump, install a bulkhead toward the top of the rubbermaid, and run pipe to the sump. You could then run at least some of your drain water to the tub and it would drain through the bulkhead to the sump. If there is enough room above the rubbermaid, you could put a skimmer in there.

If you can install bulkheads in your main sump, you could look into an external skimmer.

Is the Coralife 220 loud? I currently have a remora on my 29g tank (live rock w/some soffties) & it takes forever just to get a little foam.

My wife may kill me if I spend money on another skimmer but I wouldn't mind if it would work better.

Fishguy622

abynum- Not sure what your configuration or allowable splace is, but whatever you do, try and keep it simple while still achieving your goal. Have you decided on sump, fuge, or both?
Fishguy- you may want to upgrade to a MAG5 for your AquaC. I ran one w/ an MJ1200 and got very little foam production, even with the collection cup all the way down!. As soon as I put the MAG5 on it, it worked like a charm. The Coralife is much quieter than the Remora. The Remora uses a spray injection which is the part that makes it loud.

I have an extra mag3 I could use instead of the maxi-jet 1200. The mag3 pumps 350gph & the mj1200 is 295gph, is that going to make a big differance w/ the foam output? Or should I invest in a mag5?

Fishguy622

Back