Hang on skimmer

Abynum1

Premium Member
Looks like that after I put my return pump in its section of the fuge, I only have about 6"x6" of extra room left.
I guess I either need a hang on back skimmer that can handle around 140 gallons give or take, or a in-sump skimmer with a small footprint.
Any suggestions?

I just upgraded as well to the CSS220 on my 90 and love it. Small enough footprint I believe. If not, they hang on the back as well.

Needlewhweel. An impeller blade that chops water into a frothy madness,
Venturi- air is sucked into the intake of a pump, via airline tubing, and then is chopped up.
Needlewheel all the way for sure, IMO.
The cheaper price is tempting on the venturi model, but I am glad I went needlewheel. Remember a skimmer is an investment.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9275133#post9275133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Abynum1
Actually I just measured and I only have 5"x5."
The Coralife is 6"x8"
It also hangs on the back.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9278011#post9278011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Abynum1
I'm assuming the hang on the back skimmers still require an in tank or in sump pump?

I have my Prizm HOT on the back of my tank. I have no sump, and I'm not sure what you mean by an "intank". You should be fine though as long as you can find a skimmer that fits. I would not recommend the Prizm brand. Go Remora.

What I am asking, is where is the pump on the hot skimmers? Are they hanging on the tank as well,on the floor or actually in the tank/sump?
If you go in sump, or they part of the footprint or do you have to allow space for them as well?

Are you open to an external skimmer? I have the room in my sump for an internal, but i may go external to use the space for toher things. And make mainternance that much easier. Deoending on the type, you could even keep the pump internal and do the skimmer external.

Sure, I'm open to whatever will work.I have plenty of room under the tank, just not in the return of my sump.

Give external a try, the easiest way is to get a recirculating skimmer (like the euroreef RC-80, octopus DNW-150, or soon to be released Bubblemaster 150). Though recirculating skimmers are fairly pricey, the octopus will be your cheapest, followed by the bubble master (the best performer), and the expensive Euroreef.

That being said you can plumb any watertight skimmer externally. Just run some PVC or SPA FLEX from the pump to the skimmer and then run the standpipe back in (you may have to add a standpipe). One tip, never run the stanpipe upwards higher than you want your waterlevel to be.

I am sure that brings up ten more questions but it's a start

Since you have a sump, see if you can make enough room for a Tunze 9010. It's an excellent skimmer with a small foot print.

True the Tunze DOC skimmers are real nice.
Yes, the Coralife and AquaC both have their bodies on the outside of the tank and the pump hangs just on the inside of the tank, not on the bottom. So no footprint. Just need enough space between wall and tank.
Surprised why I haven't asked yet, but what size tank do you have, is a reef tank, and do you have a high bio-load? These can all be factors in your decision as to how"great" of a skimmer you really might need.
If it's just a FO with a few softies, a religious water change regimen can do just as good as a skimmer.
A reef tank with lots of sps and fish will require a larger, and probably more expensive, skimmer.
If you can run external, then do that. You will transfer less heat to the tank and you can practically put it anywhere you want it. Be careful with "modifying" skimmers to run external when they aren't supposed to. If you have to mod it out of the box, then you probably should have chosen a different skimmer.
Also, if you run an external skimmer that's not meant to be, then that usually means running a pump under pressure ona pump that isn't pressure rated.

so CCS220's are good? im thinkin about getting one for my 75...ive had both the prism and seaclone and HATED them...

As far as an external skimmer;
I have two return hoses from my overflow, is there a way to do a direct gravity feed type thing to avoid using a dedicated pump for the skimmer?
Also, what If I get a rubbermaid on the floor by the fuge and put an internal skimmer in there?
How do I get the water to and from that container?

Another thing, can you put a hot on the fuge return area where the pump is?
I guess you dont want it hanging in the actual fuge area as will probably suck in the pods and chaeto?

Back