hangin light ??

genzod66

I JUST GOT A 72 INCH OUTER ORBIT LIGHT 250 MH AND T 5 COMBO,REMOTE BALLAST,WELL IT COMES WITH A HANGING KIT,THE THING IS ALMOST AS WIDE AS MY TANK,CANT GET MY ARM IN THERE,PLUS COMES WITH SUCKY LEGS,ANYBODY MOUNT A FIXTURE TO CEILING,SHOULD I DO IT?SHOULD I USE THEIR HARDWARE,COMMENTS,SUGGESTIONS??

First off loose the CAPS. Um i would go with their hanging fixture if they have any, not sure if there is mounts on there or not?

my friend is currently using the hanging kit designed for those lights on his 110 it's only the 48" but it seems fine fosters and smith should carry them

I hung a 72" AquaSpace Light which is much heavier than the fixture you want to hang.

I used a 6 foot long 1 X4 which i screwed into STUDS in the ceiling. I then hung the light from that. Been hanging there for over 6 years now.

I wouldn't trust hanging it through the dry wall

nice,im actually doing the same thing,hanging a 2x6 that im painting to match the stand,and hanging fixture from that,into studs,they say the light is 35 lbs,feels heavier,has remote ballast?

ok so how many inches off the tank should i hang light,so it looks good,and can access tank?10 inches??

when u say u wouldnt trust hangin it through drywall,u mean just into the drywall,im gonna have to screw through the drywall to get to studs?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12930429#post12930429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by genzod66
when u say u wouldnt trust hangin it through drywall,u mean just into the drywall,im gonna have to screw through the drywall to get to studs?

I think they meant trusting only drywall.

Drywall is actually very strong and you can hold quite a bit of weight if you use the proper anchors. Of course if you have the option to use studs, thats the way to go.

Yeah, I meant through the dry wall into the studs. My fixture has internal ballasts so its quite a bit heavier. I beleive yours has external ballasts so you probably could use some anchors and be fine.
My light is about 8" from the surface of the water. I think the manufacturer recommends 11" away.

I have a 48" fixture over my 75, I was shocked how heavy it was. Due to a skylight I wasn't able to hang it from the ceiling. So I put a shelf on the wall and hung the lights from the shelf.

Here is a picture of it. Plus the shelf gave me a place to put the ballasts, and other supplies.

hanginglights.jpg

Here's how I hung my 48 inch 250 watt T/5 Combo Outer Orbit (this light weighs about fifty pounds with external ballasts). Where I needed to hang the light was between floor joists.

Cut holes in drywall.......

DSC01308.jpg
[/IMG]

Screw 2" X 6" boards between joists.......

DSC01309.jpg
[/IMG]

Replace drywall pieces into cut-out holes.......

DSC01310.jpg
[/IMG]

Spackle, sand, prime and paint to a finish.......

DSC01311.jpg
[/IMG]

Screw supplied hanging kit to ceiling and hang fixture.......

DSC01352.jpg
[/IMG]

All finished.......

DSC01353.jpg
[/IMG]

Joe:cool:

If you don't have a second floor you can do it like I did.

I just drilled holes the diameter of the wire where they needed to be. Went into the attic and found where they were. Put a few boards across the joists and screwed in the hardware.

I leaves a clean look without any kinda fixture on the ceiling and just a thin wire disappearing into the ceiling.

10" should be about right. My 250w is right at 9.5" and only raises tank temp [29 gal] about 2~3 degrees without a fan. I have 3.5" computer cooling fan hooked up to the same timer as the MH and it handles the heat just fine.

hey joe,thanks,the pics help soo much,im basically gonna do it like that except run a two by six thats painted black ,and attatch to that,i have ur light in the 72 inch model,they said its like 36 lbs?what do you think?

genzo66,

I think "they" are wrong. Here is the link to Current's .pdf spec. file. As you can see, the 72" model that you have weighs 60 lbs. (shipping weight), almost double what you were told.:eek2: I guess you could weigh the three remote ballasts and subtract that from the 60 lbs. to get your true fixture weight.

http://www.current-usa.com/files/OuterOrbitHQIT5HO.pdf

And to answer your question....Yes, these supplied steel cables can handle much more weight than 60 lbs.
Let's see some pics when you get your light up!!!!:D

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:
yes thanx,the shipping weight ,does that include the ballast,cause i know they weigh around 10 lbs. each,so that would put the fixture around 35,the guy did say that when ur handling the fixture its cumbersome,cause of the length,makes it seem heavier,i picked it up yesterday,its not as heavy as i thought,wait til you see the unit i built to put the ballast on,its pretty cool. thanx again really!!

Back