Hanna Alk Checker

If you start with the plunger down at 0 and pull it back to the 1ml mark you will have 1ml of fluid in the tip. The tip holds slightly more then 1ml of fluid.

If you start with the plunger down at 0 and pull it back to the 1ml mark you will have 1ml of fluid in the tip. The tip holds slightly more then 1ml of fluid.

I guess where I'm confused, is the markings on the syringe start with 1.0 ml when closed, and go up to 0.1when open. When I pull the plunger full back to 0.1 the regent fills the tip but dose not enter the syringe at all. is this correct?

Used my HI-755 for the first time last night, hoping I was successful.

I was able to draw reagent into the tip and all the way to the 1.0 ml line with the plunger pulled almost all the way out. I guess we do draw reagent just barely into the syringe itself, correct?

Got a reading of 173 * .056 = 9.688 dkh Guessing that based on the product review posted originally by Boomer, and not having compared the results with any other test kit, that it is possible that my reading is a bit high so can I safely assume that my alkalinity is around 9 or so?

Also, rinsed the syringe and tip thoroughly in RO and stored for next test, any other suggestions for having clean syringe and tip for next go?

Thanks,
P

I don't use the tip, I just draw the regent to the 1ml line. The other day I tested it and my test matched w/salifert. I don't see the point of the tip. If you need 1ml of regent. Pull 1ml of regent.

Used my HI-755 for the first time last night, hoping I was successful.

I was able to draw reagent into the tip and all the way to the 1.0 ml line with the plunger pulled almost all the way out. I guess we do draw reagent just barely into the syringe itself, correct?

Got a reading of 173 * .056 = 9.688 dkh Guessing that based on the product review posted originally by Boomer, and not having compared the results with any other test kit, that it is possible that my reading is a bit high so can I safely assume that my alkalinity is around 9 or so?

Also, rinsed the syringe and tip thoroughly in RO and stored for next test, any other suggestions for having clean syringe and tip for next go?

Thanks,
P

Sounds like your syringe is working correctly. I called Hanna about mine today and the fellow said they would send me a couple new ones. Like M. Reefer said I don't see the need for the tip, as a ml. is a ml. I also would like to here what Boomer has found out as far as how accurate the readings are? If we should use some kind of multiplier on the meter reading, to come up with a more accurate dKH.?

Ok I have the tip fitting tight, and the reagent is no longer leaking back out on its own, but the reagent still only reaches the top of the tip where it attaches to the syringe and dose not enter the syringe. Is this correct or should the reagent also go into the syringe a bit? I want to make sure I'm using the correct amount of reagent

I had an old one laying around so I used water with red food coloring in it for and example of how it will look. Just always remember to push the tip very tightly on the syringe and pull the liquid very slowly from the bottle.

Attachments

• Example.JPG
    Example.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1
I had an old one laying around so I used water with red food coloring in it for and example of how it will look. Just always remember to push the tip very tightly on the syringe and pull the liquid very slowly from the bottle.

Thanks Sport, That is the level I was getting. I was not sure it was correct. After talking to the Hanna CS. guy today he said that as long as you pulled the plunger back to the 0.1 mark you would be getting the 1ml. of reagent, and after a few tests I see that the reagent dose not enter the syringe. But a picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for your effort I'm sure it will help others also. I seen your post, that said your Hanna and Salifert tests are about the same. Have you crossed ck.ed them a few times? The Hanna seems easy to use if we know the read out is correct.

Thanks Sport, That is the level I was getting. I was not sure it was correct. After talking to the Hanna CS. guy today he said that as long as you pulled the plunger back to the 0.1 mark you would be getting the 1ml. of reagent, and after a few tests I see that the reagent dose not enter the syringe. But a picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for your effort I'm sure it will help others also. I seen your post, that said your Hanna and Salifert tests are about the same. Have you crossed ck.ed them a few times? The Hanna seems easy to use if we know the read out is correct.

You're more than welcome, always try to illustrate/pics if possible.

Enjoy your tank and happy reefing.:beer:

The purpose of the tip on the syringe is to increase the precision of the test. It can be skipped if you're not interested in all that much accuracy.

I never bothered cleaning the reagent syringes. I don't think it should be necessary, although every kit is different.

Is there any further clarity on the accuracy on the Hanna checker? On Boomers last post #25 it was kind of up in the air. Do we need to use some multiplier # on the Hanna read out? Others are posting that their Salifert and Hanna have similar readings, how should we be interpreting our Hanna's?

There are three Hanna models. Most people have one of the smaller checkers. The Phosphorus ULR range checker requires a multiply by three to get ppm phosphate. The other checker reads in ppm phosphate directly.

I have heard various reports as to the accuracy. Some people have gotten very good results, and if I were going to buy a test kit, I probably would get one of the ULR checkers, but I'd probably double-check it for a while with my Hach kit.

I actually love my hanna checkers.The first few posts really were a bit unfair and I believe boomer did clarify at some point.The fact that the hanna may be off by a certain factor say + or - 1 dkh for argument purposes and for instance,you maintain your alk at a recommended range of say 8.5 to 9.5 you are in a safe area regardless.The reason I love the hanna against any test kit under say $100 is the accuracy on repeated testing done on same sample.,when repeated tests are done on a single sample,The results are usually spot on for each test done.If several tests are done with a salifert alk kit (or similar),same sample,the results of each test will be off (and vary)by a fair amount (test kit noise,and user error i suppose).So for me,I know when my corals look there best and this correlates to 8.5dkh on the hanna.I can keep it much more stable this way by having a good constant to keep my alk tweeked with.Using a salifert kit I would get .5 to 1 dkh variance between tests when actually the alk was very stable.For me a stable way of measuring is the important factor given the instrument is somewhat accurate for our coral keeping purposes.

As far as the Phos checker.This is also a very constant way of measuring low phos levels.Again if it is off by a reasonable amount but I get consistent measurements on the same sample tested three or 4 times,I know this # is somewhat trust-able.On the contrary,if I get 4 significantly different readings from several tests done on the same sample with test kits,I find this # not trust-able.

so is the general consensus that the hanna alk checker reads 18% high as reported?
or does more testing need to be done.

so is the general consensus that the hanna alk checker reads 18% high as reported?
or does more testing need to be done.

Here are my findings with my particular hanna alk checker.Same sample checked three times with the hanna came up 7.5 dkh consistently.Same sample tested with a new salifert alk (exp 5-2015 )kit comes up at 8.3dkh,8.6dkh,and 8.0dkh with me trying very hard to decipher the color change equally.This kit was checked with the calibration fluid and was very close to the 7.3 listed on the bottle.This would point to the Hanna reading lower in this case but it may not hold true with a hach or other high end test kit.

Back