Hanna checker results

drew2007

Ok just got my checkers today and tested my tank and freshly filtered rodi water. I have been battling cyano now for about 4-6 weeks. It's mostly on the sand and some rocks. Tank tested 0.15ppm and rodi tested 0.37!!! I have no livestock other than snails. I lost everything to Sandy back in October. I just started running biopellets a week ago. I've had lights out for about a week. Cyano is dying off. Maybe that is causing high phos levels. I just refuse to stock anything until this cyano is gone. This is becoming very discouraging. Any help or suggestions. I almost at the point of breaking down this tank and getting out of the hobby after 8 years.

Ok just got my checkers today and tested my tank and freshly filtered rodi water. I have been battling cyano now for about 4-6 weeks. It's mostly on the sand and some rocks. Tank tested 0.15ppm and rodi tested 0.37!!! I have no livestock other than snails. I lost everything to Sandy back in October. I just started running biopellets a week ago. I've had lights out for about a week. Cyano is dying off. Maybe that is causing high phos levels. I just refuse to stock anything until this cyano is gone. This is becoming very discouraging. Any help or suggestions. I almost at the point of breaking down this tank and getting out of the hobby after 8 years.

I don't have experience with the hanna checkers yet although I plan to get some. The last time I had bad algae breakouts, I did crazy water changes and got a 5 gallon bucket filled with water change water, took the infected rock and shook it inside the bucket then placed the rocks back in the tank... it worked great for me...

Good luck - sorry I can't be more help

make sure there are no fingerprints on the container and that you get all of the contents out of the packet.

Have you tested the water when it is first coming out of your RODI or after sitting in a storage container for a couple of days? Is it possible that your RODI storage container is leaching phosphates?

Have you tested the water when it is first coming out of your RODI or after sitting in a storage container for a couple of days? Is it possible that your RODI storage container is leaching phosphates?

I tested it after about an hour in a storage container. Rodi unit shows 0 tds coming off the di. I use 1 gallon ro jugs that I bought water in from Walmart.

I test using Hanna and the Red Sea master kit. Both are almost identical give or take +1/-1
That's not too bad. Running Carbon, GFO and water changes will help. What's your lighting schedule like. How old are your bulbs? What type of lighting, water TDS used, salt used and what's your perams like now?

I see your LED. How long have you been running them?

Before the hurricane and before I lost everything, it was on a 11 hour schedule with 0 issues. Everything was perfect. I've had them off now for a week. I put them on once in awhile. No livestock but snails. I have also tested using salifert and it shows 0 phosphate. TDS of water going into unit is usually around 35-40ppm. I use Tropic Marin Pro salt. Current parameters are...
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Ph - 8.1
Sg - 1.025
Alk - 8.4
Ca - 450
Phos - .15(Hanna)

Last edited:
Back