Has anyone ever fragged a bubble coral?

LeslieP

My little 3" "bubble boy" has grown to be ~8" across and is getting a little cramped in my 55. Has anyone succesfully fragged one of these?

I've seen hammers fragged by literally ripping them apart. The starting colony completely filled a 90 gallon! The owner was able to pull off many 8" pieces which probably helped their success quite a bit though. **EDIT** If it were me I would look into maybe using a dremel or something. Someone can probably help you with treatments in case the cut tissues get sick before they heal.

Doesn't success and growth mean you deserve a larger tank!?

I have seen people just use dykes to cut a hammer. not sure if you can do that with bubble or not though.

You can frag a bubble easily. You need a dremmel and a very thin blade, or use a jewerly saw or a tile saw. Make sure you are dripping salt water on the coral as you begin the cut. Try to cut it down the middle with as clean of a cut as possible. Wear eye protection b/c you will get alot of slimy stuff on you. Dont be afraid to cut it, as long as its in good health to begin with, your success rate should be around 90% or better. If you need more detailed instruction or help just let me know.

Thanks for all of the responses. It will probably be easier to get a dremmel tool on the holiday list than the bigger tank that I really crave. I'm glad to hear of your sucess since I am quite fond of the coral and would hate to kill it.

Back