Has anyone ever painted their BB a color other than white?

jherrin215

GO COLTS!!
I decided to go bb on my new 225 and was wondering if anyone had ever tried painting the bottom a color other than white. Black blue or a shade between tan and white have all crossed me mind. Opinions?

My rimless has a black PVC bottom that I have not covered up. Looks good IMO. Tank is only a couple months old so not really sure what it is going to look like when it matures.

I'd imagine any color will work. Eventually a BB will just become purple from corraline, so whatever you fancy having there in the meantime. I like the idea of a tan color to represent the sand... although I like sand in my tanks so I guess I'm biased there! :D

I did black on the bottom of my frag tank and hated it, seemed to show every bit of junk. however it did look good after the coraline grew in, shortly after that I added sand.

I like the look or clean sand as well but think white will POP too much. I am thinking about using black and hoping it makes it not stand out too much.

I'd steer away from black personally. I had dark grey sand in my last tank and it showed every bit of dirt. Pure black would be even worse. (My hubby has a black dodge charger that is impossible to keep looking clean!)

If you're after a color to hide the dirt, something neutral like tan would be your best bet. A lighter color also has the benefit of reflecting light back up at the rocks. My new tank has light sand and it makes an incredible amount of difference compared to the grey from before.

Last edited:
I'm not so worried about hiding the dirt, I am more concerned with what it looks like whenever it is clean.

why not go for a natural color like tan? this way it will be less popping than white, but still clean looking.

That was one that i did consider. I have never had a tank with a black background, which the 225 will have, so I was just looking for opinions on how this would look. I believe I am leaning more towards a tan color now, with the black back.

Back