Has anyone removed the "megaflow" plastic from their all-glass tanks?

Nerdy Nudi

And replaced it with a smaller acrylic design?

just trying to get as much space that I can. the megaflow's by aqueon (all-glass and oceanic) are far larger than they need to be.

If no one has, do you guys think it will be easy? How hard can that silicone be to cut and remove?

thanks

Last edited:
I don't know if it would be worth it personally. Either way you're stuck with the holes on the bottom which is the biggest downside of the megaflow overflows in my opinion.

josh, I figured that he has to be talking about the holes in the plastic that are closer to the bottom instead of just letting water flow in from the top.

since he said "worst part of megaflow". almost every drilled tank has holes on the bottom, the megafow must offer something else that he doesnt like other than the obvious glass drilled holes.

what is more confusing is the fact that i mentioned I was removing and replacing it. so Im still not sure what he was talking about.

U could replace it with a smaller overflow, if you are just planning on using one hole as the drain, and plugging up the other which is used for a return line. I run my returns over the top of the tank anyway. Othewise, I don't see much of an advantage of removing the stock overflow. I really don't think that there's much room in the stock overflow to play with as it is, and you wanna replace it with something smaller?... Imo, not worth the hassle..

over flow

over flow

I agree I hate how big mine are I was thinking about a bow that 8" long and 4" front to back. I think it should be 4-6" tall and the you make a whole in the top if he bow that's 2"x2" just fixed your problem the 2x2 box goes all the way up just like normal overflow... hope that helps I can make a srawing if you need

Sorry about the bad spelling I'm on a cell phone and its hard to see and type bow should be box lol
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

youd be surprised how much extra room the megaflow actually takes. when I get a chance Ill post a top down pic, and youll be able to see that it uses an extra 3"+ on width and 2"+ on depth, doesnt sound like much but it takes about 30% more footprint than it needs to because of its "design".

Replacing it with glass would be excellent, that way you can at least scrape it and keep it clean. Hate those **** overflows. No reason why the top of the back pane can't be drilled and you can have a tiny box or an upturned elbow up there.

Back