Has anyone tried Marineland sumps?

Chris&Mel

I have been dealing with marinland over a canister filter that constantly blows micro bubbles, and they have agreed to exchange it for one of there sumps.

Has anyone tried them?
I know they have a bio wheel in them but I can just take it out right?

I have one of their old model Tidepool II sumps. Are you referring to the new acrylic ones? They seem fairly nice, but keep in mind they have a biowheel, which I guess you can remove, that are known as nitrate factories if you intend to keep SPS or other than easy corals. I do like the 3 sliding media trays though.

the new sumps are great. they are made really well. I don't really believe that the biowheels are nitrate traps but different strokes.......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14157259#post14157259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vetdog
the new sumps are great. they are made really well. I don't really believe that the biowheels are nitrate traps but different strokes.......
So....you would suggest using it?

They look nice but they really dont appeal to me. They made the sections in the sump so small that there really isnt any room to work in.

Another thing, we couldnt fit any decent skimmer inside them. The only skimmers that we could fit in were the marine series skimmers from marineland.

I mean if you are getting one for free sure why not, but I would never go out a buy one

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14160810#post14160810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
They look nice but they really dont appeal to me. They made the sections in the sump so small that there really isnt any room to work in.

Another thing, we couldnt fit any decent skimmer inside them. The only skimmers that we could fit in were the marine series skimmers from marineland.

I mean if you are getting one for free sure why not, but I would never go out a buy one
so....how small are the compartments? I have a Super skimmer 220 will that fit? or am I going to have to hang it off the side?
I've never seen one in person and there site sucks for pictures of them (they don't even have the dimentions) had to ask the rep what they were. She didnt know anything about the inside (baffles, bubble traps, skimmer section)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14163887#post14163887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Li\/EWiRE
I personally like to build my own Sumps. That way you can make it exactly the way you want it.

Well I was going to, but I'm getting this one for free. So I thought I would ask if anyone new what they were like and how well they worked.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14164786#post14164786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Li\/EWiRE
True. Just asking But why did they not just give you another canister filter?

They did, and the new one is worse. Every few mins it shoots a huge amount of micro bubbles (very aggravating) so I told them I didn't want a third and inquired as to a sump or syphon overflow instead.
I'm impressed with there level of service, just don't want there canister anymore

I am curious too about this sump. I had some issues with a marineland product and they offered me one too. it should be in anytime. I got the model 4 and they told me there was a 14x14 area in the middle that I can use as a ref or add a larger skimmer. I am using2 of there 1350 gph or 750 at 4' pumps. I have a 220 marineland tank with dual corner flows on it so im doing as recomended with the two pumps. I am nervous because there are no reviews yet.

Back