Have been dealing with an algae issue..

derrick80f

Hi, I have been dealing with an algae issue, it started out light green and then turned dark green after I dosed with algaefix. What is the beat way to deal with this? Thanks..

Do you have a picture of the algae?

What are your water parameters?

Do you have a picture of the algae?

What are your water parameters?
All tests turn up perfect water conditions.
Pic of the algae (puffer trying to get all the attention) lol
20221130_204506.jpg

Almost looks like a form of Cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates to me.

Here’s a link to my battle with Cyano.

Are you feeding too much Derrick? What kind of filtration are you using?

Almost looks like a form of Cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates to me.

Here’s a link to my battle with Cyano.

I used dr. Tims waste away (the blue stick) and it did nothing. Finally I removed it after I guess a couple weeks.. none of the goo inside had been expelled and algae was actually growing on the stick. How can algae grow on something meant to kill algae? Lol

Are you feeding too much Derrick? What kind of filtration are you using?
I am feeding the occasional clam for the puffer and krill for him and all his other tank mates. I dont really feed anything else.. I do feed quite a bit at once, twice a day, however, I make sure they eat it all. As far as filtering, I am using a protein skimmer, filter sock, media is another sump compartment, and uv sterilizer.. some pics of filtration plus random fish pics. I know my system is a mess down under, sorry.

Attachments

• 20221128_234516.jpg
    20221128_234516.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20221128_234523.jpg
    20221128_234523.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20221128_234534.jpg
    20221128_234534.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221023_211640.jpg
    20221023_211640.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221023_211621.jpg
    20221023_211621.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221023_211557.jpg
    20221023_211557.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
How long has the tank been running? When I see cyanobacteria, I try to cut back on my feeding a bit. How often do you clean the filter sock?

How long has the tank been running? When I see cyanobacteria, I try to cut back on my feeding a bit. How often do you clean the filter sock?
I have had the tank running for a total of about 3 1/2 months now. I skipped the cycle period and just let it cycle while I added inhabitants. I have lost two but one (ornamental shrimp) was eaten so I guess that doesn't count. My parameters are all great. I clean the filter sock weekly. Maybe I should cut back on feeding.

I would try that. If you do water changes, try siphoning the algae out when you do. It'll most likely disappear as the tank settles in. Good luck.
Yeah I just did my first water change right before Thanksgiving after 3 months, I did also vacuum out a lot of algae. Lol, somehow it doesn't require water changes weekly but it would probably cut down on the algae. Thanks for your advice and help.

IME, Gfo in a small reactor (Not in bags) can help quite a bit too, at least to help starve it out and get it under control. I'm guessing PO4 is reading pretty low with the algae consuming it and the algae growth in the sump isn't enough to compete with what's in the display.

On a side note from your pics, I see you have a Coralife turbo twist UV. Not sure if you have taken it apart for maintenance yet, but since the outer housing is not PVC, they use a steel sleeve inside that rusts over time in saltwater. Not necessarily a problem, but just thought I'd mention it since I've used them before.

Anyway, good luck!

IME, Gfo in a small reactor (Not in bags) can help quite a bit too, at least to help starve it out and get it under control. I'm guessing PO4 is reading pretty low with the algae consuming it and the algae growth in the sump isn't enough to compete with what's in the display.

On a side note from your pics, I see you have a Coralife turbo twist UV. Not sure if you have taken it apart for maintenance yet, but since the outer housing is not PVC, they use a steel sleeve inside that rusts over time in saltwater. Not necessarily a problem, but just thought I'd mention it since I've used them before.

Anyway, good luck!
Thank you for the advice on the uv, I wasnt aware of that!

Back