hawaii collecting

Do your research concerning the best way to ship and keep them healthy then go for it. I think it would be great to look at your tank and know you collected the fish. Cost is not the issue.

I do hope you make every effort to ensure they live though. I would hate to see you waste these fish because you didn't take every step required to keep them alive.

Good luck.

trust me, you'll catch fish...not as hard as people make it seem,although it is somewhat difficult you have to setup the fish by maybe putting some bread pieces on the surface and having a net ready to strike,its all about patience.
i ended up being able to scoop up a puffer with my own hands that way.
+1...I was able to catch box fish and moorish idols, with a 'kids play' net, right by the jetty at the hotel beaches

I don't necessarily agree with what the OP is proposing but I find the whole don't upset the locals argument laughable. It's legal to catch fish with a permit so the "locals" need to deal. I've personally experienced the whole local vibe with them saying "our waves", "our beaches" or "our land". I wonder how the locals would like it if we took "our money" and spent "our money" on "our side" of the ocean. I'm sure they'd be begging for "our money" to come back.

I don't necessarily agree with what the OP is proposing but I find the whole don't upset the locals argument laughable. It's legal to catch fish with a permit so the "locals" need to deal. I've personally experienced the whole local vibe with them saying "our waves", "our beaches" or "our land". I wonder how the locals would like it if we took "our money" and spent "our money" on "our side" of the ocean. I'm sure they'd be begging for "our money" to come back.

That is a fair point

This is amazing, a bunch of people who have tanks in their living rooms full of stuff from some ocean somewhere flaming a guy who wants to do it himself. Thats like being mad at someone for asking how to slaughter a cow while you are eating a Big Mac. Are all of you flamers staring at tanks filled only with captive-bred fish and aquacultured corals? If not i say stop throwing stones in glass houses. How many fish died on that trip to get that one single tang in to your tank, and you feel ok about it because you bought it at a fish store? Get over yourselves...

thelizardkin - i love the fact that you put the trout in your pond, guess someone is eating crow, and its not you!

One more point, the permit says "aquatic life" not fish, coral and live rock are prohibited, and anything on a protected list. Otherwise fair game.

Anyway, now maybe I can take a little heat off you, I am in Portland, going to Maui in July, permit is in my wallet. I would like to know if you actually manage to get any useful information on good collection sites, I have found some good stuff on other forums, but that was for Oahu. Let me know if there is an LFS that is willing to hold your stuff too. Good luck, if I find any rad places I will let you know since you are going after me. I am going 7/25 - 7/31.

Dont let these guys get you down, there are so many miserable people out there just waiting to rain on someones day.

While I'm not a huge fan of this idea it is legal...

We stayed in Kihei (can't beat a free condo) and in the tide pools (probably your best bet at catching something) at Kamaole state park (I'm not sure your permit is good at state parks) we say a number of Lawn-mower Blennys, baby convict tangs and baby angels... hermits, rock boring and pencil urchins too. We also saw some amazing green zoas in these pools (hard and soft corals are off limits too)

A number of areas are Marine Preserves, Mokuleia Bay comes to mind, where I KNOW the permit isn't valid, so make sure you don't get in trouble with the law.

Side note: Wow, a lot of people from the Portland area in this thread

Weird…lol

Yeah i know the tide pools you are talking about, one of my favorite spots if we are talking about the same spot right about where Lahaina and Kaanapali meet.

We were drinking at Java Jazz one night and stumbling back to our condo and met up with some locals who were catching crabs in that tide pool at night to eat. They were using nothing but a flash light and it was pitch black, they were snagging them left and right but my friend and I could hardly even see where they were! Lot of fun but the locals put us to shame!

GroYurOwn,

You took a 10 day old thread and brought it back in an apparent attempt at restarting a flame war. Don't.

Kevin

No not really, I am going to Maui, I have a similar question. I think flaming this guy is ridiculous, but I suppose I can't voice my opinion on that?

Please read my post in its entirety, you can see that I actually had interest in the subject, which is why I IMd the OP too ask a question instead of making myself a victim of the hypocrisy that was happening. Flaming was what was happening prior to my comment by many other members of this forum who were not called out publicly. I have been a member of this forum since 2002 and have never been accused of trolling, why would I start now?

I started reading part of this then just stopped.

Why would you risk the life of a fish that you took upon yourself to try to ship home. How are you going to feel when it arrives and it didn't make it? If you would have just left it allow it would have had the chance to live a long happy life.

Exactly the attitude that begets people getting punched in the head...

One more point, the permit says "aquatic life" not fish, coral and live rock are prohibited, and anything on a protected list. Otherwise fair game.

Perhaps you missed the rule that states you must maintain facilities designed to keep the fish alive and in good health...

I have been a member of this forum since 2002 and have never been accused of trolling, why would I start now?

I don't know; you tell me. Why enter into what had been a contentious thread that died 11 days ago and post

Get over yourselves....
and

guess someone is eating crow, and its not you!

and

there are so many miserable people out there just waiting to rain on someones day.

??

Yep, you certainly moved the conversation in a positive direction.

Kevin

My bad, again, sorry for expressing my disgust at the flaming that happened, I will try to keep my opinion to myself here on RC, I must have missed that in the rule book, but thanks for getting me in line...

I didn't know there was a time limit on when I could reply to a thread. I will start my own fresh thread, about the same thing, feel free to hop on that one and express your disgust for my intended dismantling of the reef in Hawaii.

my goodness, I never said I wanted to "express" myself, let's not get any crazy ideas, and put words in my mouth. My interest in this thread is dead, don't worry guys I am done here. If anyone actually has any useful information about Maui, I did start a thread asking the question. Feel free to chime in on that one, however, I cannot guarantee your safety :)

Also, facilities to keep stuff alive is a pretty broad description, btw, I would think the reason it is described in that way was because that could mean a tub with an air stone temporarily, or a display tank. If they had a specific minimum in mind I would think they would specify that in the policy, then again, that fish could die in any facility, even if collected professionally, and I am sure many do. Just my guess, but what do I know.

And with that I AM OUTTA HERE! Peace be with you fellow reefers. I shall not return to this thread, carry on!

Why are there so many "model citizen's" aka "internet police" in this thread. Let the man do what he wants to do. So many members on this site remind me people that have nothing better to do but sit on thier porch and yell at little kids on the sidewalk.

For Heaven sakes let the man do what he wants. The OP didn't come on here asking for your moral decisions or for you to get all political on him. Get a life people and stop getting on everyone's case. I notice this site is real "clicky" and the "click" jumps on people like a fly on crap.

I see so many people concerned about the fishes health... Really?? I think we all have the best intentions when itcomes to marine life but seriously. How many fish have all of you killed? How many fish have been killed in shipping or by using toxic cynide fishing? Do you stop to think about that before flaming the OP?? Get a life and stop being the ethical almighty internet police!

OP do your thing in Hawaii and enjoy your time there!

I just want to say thank you to all the members supporting me and groyurown I will defiantly share any info I come across with you

Back