Hawaii Fish Collection appears set to resume

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
For those following the Hawaiian Fish Ban, the collection of 8 fish species in October 2022, was approved by default after the Land Board failed to make a decision within the legally allowed 30-day period for the environmental impact study. Those species are:
  • Yellow tangs
  • Kole tangs
  • Orangespine unicornfish
  • Potters Angel
  • Brown surgeonfish
  • Thompson’s surgeonfish
  • Black surgeonfish
  • Bird wrasse
This approval was also pending the lifting of a court injunction on the collection.

According to ReefBuilders, the injunction was also lifted in October 2022, however no fish permits have been issued and various groups have taken it back to court.

In early February, the two Hawaiian Legislature committees reviewed testimony regarding SB505 which would have been a law banning fishing for the aquarium trade. This measure was not adopted by the ommmitees and has failed.

Best I can tell (and ReefBuilders) based on everything I’ve read, it’s now up to DLNR to begin issuing permits provided no other court injunctions get implemented.

It really depends up to the DLNR. They could hold off issuing permits for another season if they wanted to.

I could see them being issued in very limited quantities or them dividing up the fishery even more so. But I can also see it being the same with none being issued

They would have to overcome strong local sentiment against collecting Hawaiian reef fish and shipping them to the mainland.

I’m curious what the economic impact on this is as far as local fisherman and their livelihoods. Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand the Hawaiian peoples concerns and their culture so either way I’m good, yellow tangs are captive bred and I couldn’t afford a potters angel back when they were available (if I remember their price right) so theoretically, it’s not impacting me much at all

Yea, the issue from what I understand is the permits aren’t being issued currently.

Back