Hawaiian Flame Wrasse questions

FishyKat

Hey all!

I have 2 female flame wrasses in my QT right now, presently being treated for parasites before going to my DT when they're clear.

I am not seeing much in googling.. but here's some questions..

One female is picking on the other, showing dominance. Will she be the one most likely to turn male?

two females would be OK for one to turn male, right?

About how long does it take?

Could she turn in QT, or most likely in the DT?

In all likelihood they will both become male and it will not end well. How long...sometimes a few weeks sometimes months.

Much better to get multiple wrasse of different species than to try to get"pairs" since wrasses don't pair. If they are Cirrhilabrus, Halichoeres, or Paracheilinus they will almost always turn to males in the aquarium.

Hey all!

I have 2 female flame wrasses in my QT right now, presently being treated for parasites before going to my DT when they're clear.

I am not seeing much in googling.. but here's some questions..

One female is picking on the other, showing dominance. Will she be the one most likely to turn male?

two females would be OK for one to turn male, right?

About how long does it take?

Could she turn in QT, or most likely in the DT?

I would separate them immediately.
In all likelihood they will both become male and it will not end well. How long...sometimes a few weeks sometimes months.

Much better to get multiple wrasse of different species than to try to get"pairs" since wrasses don't pair. If they are Cirrhilabrus, Halichoeres, or Paracheilinus they will almost always turn to males in the aquarium.

This exactly. Sometimes it takes months for them to turn male, even years. But eventually, they always will. They're gorgeous Wrasses, I'm sure you'll have no problem unloading one.

The female of my male-female pair turned into a male. It took several months. My dominant male does not pick on the sub-dominant male and leaves him alone. They are in a 300g DT.

That's the key a large enough tank... big difference in keeping fish in 300 gallons than the 75 she has. I thought about a second one, but even my 170 might be too small so a got a Rhomboid instead.....:)

Back