Heading to Hawaii plan on doing some collecting….

Spotted hawk might be cool. But I'm not really looking for fish. Probably just get some crabs and starfish just wanted to know if anyone knew of any cool secret spots

Make sure you aren't in a marine preserve. I think you will have alot more success focusing on inverts than the last thread. Also if you are scuba certified spend the money to dive Molokini. Its my favorite place but don't try to collect anything there its a marine park.

Hope everything goes well if you find a good spot let me know but from what I remember about Hawaii is there's fish everywhere as long as it's not protected you'll find stuff

Previous posting had OP thinking he was going to catch a boat loada fish on snorkel (ok ok, I'm embellishing). My only point was its not as easy to catch fish on the open reef, even on scuba with the proper nets and guidance. IF you're just goofing off in the tide pools...thats a different story. I would suggest you get some 'reefing' shoes....same as scuba type neoprene boots with hard rubber soles. you'll get cut up if you are bare footed. This is more in lne with toodeling around, not true fish collecting. if you're going for some snails, crabs, starfish.....have fun. There is a bit of allure and draw to going out and messing around at low tide....i track the tides religously, and will even take a day off work if its low enough.

GL
C

Previous posting had OP thinking he was going to catch a boat loada fish on snorkel (ok ok, I'm embellishing). My only point was its not as easy to catch fish on the open reef, even on scuba with the proper nets and guidance. IF you're just goofing off in the tide pools...thats a different story. I would suggest you get some 'reefing' shoes....same as scuba type neoprene boots with hard rubber soles. you'll get cut up if you are bare footed. This is more in lne with toodeling around, not true fish collecting. if you're going for some snails, crabs, starfish.....have fun. There is a bit of allure and draw to going out and messing around at low tide....i track the tides religously, and will even take a day off work if its low enough.

GL
C

What I ment by fish everywhere I ment you don't need to go to a specific spot you'll see them no matter where you go

I went out to Molokini last year, amazing. Those triggers just swim right up to you and they are BIG!

I know that in the tide pools I did see a lot of gobies and convict tangs, the gobies were ugly and I am not interested in convicts, but I think I could have caught them. I was raised going to the oregon coast and used to catch fish out of the tide pools by hand all the time. I am older and slower now though.

I think what theLizardkin was trying to express is that he is going to be in Hawaii any way, and out in the water, so he's gonna try to catch some fish. The way everyone immediately told him it was impossible so he shouldn't even try was surprising. the way i look at it that i am not going to be frustrated if i don't catch anything, seriously I AM IN HAWAII it can't be that bad.

Anyway, i agree, those rocks are like glass in some places, we went to the olivine pools, which would have been really cool at the right time of day, but i barely slipped and grabbed a rock to catch myself and it shredded my hand.

I was looking at another thread on maybe reef sanctuary and a guy caught a bad a$$ eel with a net. i don't want an eel, but it sure would be cool to catch one for some pics opps!

Back