Heater Recommendation

rdnyva

I have a 150 gallon tank with a total water volume of approx 200 gallons. What heater would you recommend for this tank. It will be controlled by an Apex Lite. Reliability is the number one factor, but also need help with brand, wattage, thermostat or no.

Finnex titanium 500 watt.Your apex will control the heater, no thermostat to get stuck or malfunction. Bulletproof.

I was thinking of going with Finnex but then I saw some very dismal reviews, which is what prompted this thread. Any thoughts on if an 800w is too much overkill, or is more better?

I like the idea of going with 2 heaters in case one craps out. Should they be lesser wattage for a total of 500 or both 500.

I was thinking of going with Finnex but then I saw some very dismal reviews, which is what prompted this thread. Any thoughts on if an 800w is too much overkill, or is more better?

I like the idea of going with 2 heaters in case one craps out. Should they be lesser wattage for a total of 500 or both 500.

Two heaters is very good idea. Redundancy can lead to a long successful stay in the hobby. A 500 for your main heater then another for backup purposes would be a good idea. Unless your inba cold climate you wouldn't need a 800 watt heater. My finnex lasted for years. My suggestion would be to go with a reputable brand x2 and and use your apex. Just noticed you're in Florida... You might get away with a 300 watt and a another for backup. Here in Vegas my 150 had a 500 watt and it ran very sporadically.

I run a 300 and a 250 on my total 285 gallon system. If a 500 Watt would some how stick on it could heat your system to above 90 rather quickly. A 300 and 250 would be the biggest I would use.
Forgot to add that I'm Indianapolis and keep house at 68 in the winter

Back