*$%# Heaters!!!

goldscarf

Premium Member
This morning I got to my office where I keep my 90 gallon reef tank and found that my 2 Pro-Heat Titanium IC Heaters that I keep in my sump decided to go into overdrive and my tank water was damn near 90! I have lost my Scott's Fairy and Redmargin Fairy Wrasses, my Mandrine, and most irritating my golden moray that I just spent $300 for!!! Not to mention most of my SPS are now bleached or in the process of bleaching!!!

I am now in the process of trying to cool down my tank slowly to not to cause too much more stress. That said I now have a heater problem.

Any suggestions for a quality heater that I can submerge in a sump?

I've heard the titanium heaters are better. I keep mine set way below need [72] and rely on lighting and the reserve heat of my rocks overnight to stabilize the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7500430#post7500430 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
I've heard the titanium heaters are better. I keep mine set way below need [72] and rely on lighting and the reserve heat of my rocks overnight to stabilize the tank.

I;ve seen way more tank overheats lately from the titanium ones than the glass. The glass ones just break.

How big are your 2 heaters?

i got those stealth heaters. bought them from Dr. Fosters. they seem good so far and they are shatter resistant. i would recommend these.

IMO, you're going to spend $50+ to get two decent heaters here. Go out and buy a Ranco, or something like that. Its a better investment. Theyre only like $75, and much more accurate than your average heater.

Also consider an external stat that will switch off the heaters if the water gets to hot, i.e. if they get stuck on. Then when the water cools, the external stat will switch the heaters back on, ensuring your fish dont boil.

Controller ...

For piece of mind! It's one of those investments that you just can't go without:)

His heater did have a seperate controller. Unfortunatley it failed. I had one that failed in the off position. This brand heater does not have a very good track record. I wont be buying any more Won Bros.

Sorry for your losses. :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7500963#post7500963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Finnex heaters are much better than those Won Bro heaters.

Get a Ranco temperature controller, or even a Reefkeeper 2: http://digitalaquatics.com ... The RK2 is the best investment you could make.

The finnex are junk too. THeyre only titanium coated, and rust when they get scratched. Do you want that in your tank?

Get a controller. A ranco will cost you like $49, and is just as accurate as a RK2, or AC Jr.

If it gets hot in your area during the summer, you should turn off your heater. It gets really hot in Northern California during the summer that I just turn off my heater. My tank stays at 77 without the heater. I guess the pumps are what is heating the tank up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7501068#post7501068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikekman
If it gets hot in your area during the summer, you should turn off your heater. It gets really hot in Northern California during the summer that I just turn off my heater. My tank stays at 77 without the heater. I guess the pumps are what is heating the tank up.

Pumps do that. Every watt of pump in there is the same as a watt of heater thats stuck on.

I know from experience that Won Bro - Pro Heat Titaniums are junk. I also know from experience that the Finnex titanium tubes are very good heaters. I don't know how you would ever scratch a titanium heater, but I'm sure every titanium heater would go bad if damaged.

Anyway, IMO a good safe heating system is to go with a titanium tube(s) with a controller. I have two 300w Finnex titanium tube heaters controlled by an RK2. Never had a problem with this system. And since I use a controller, I have programed in safeguards to prevent heating disasters. But, with anything in reef keeping, if a disaster really wants to strike, it will!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7501055#post7501055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
The finnex are junk too. THeyre only titanium coated, and rust when they get scratched. Do you want that in your tank?

Get a controller. A ranco will cost you like $49, and is just as accurate as a RK2, or AC Jr.

Back