Helios T5?

meschaefer

Premium Member
I picked up some used equipment from a guy leaving the hobby and he threw in two Helios T5 fixtures (24w) along with the other stuff that I got from him. From looking around I think that they are the Helios II.

I did find that at least one of the Helios fixtures is disposable, in that the bulbs can not be replaced. I don't know if this is that fixture. Any information on this fixture or brand would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to get a picture, but I stupidly put them straight into storage.

I didn't pay for them, so if they need to be thrown out it is no biggie.

here is a stock picture of what my fixtures look like.

helios-t5-ii-deluxe-fixture.jpg

interesting. I assume that it is the bulb that gives out after a year. I wonder If I could canablize the ballasts and reflectors, replacing the bulbs and the endcaps.

interesting. I assume that it is the bulb that gives out after a year. I wonder If I could canablize the ballasts and reflectors, replacing the bulbs and the endcaps.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10444673#post10444673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by timone321
https://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx?id=67

here is a website that sells them and gives some basic info.

i have them in my sump. i am thinking about putting them in a display tank. do you know where the guy had them that you bought your tank from? im interested to see if anyone has ever used them in display tank.

He had a nice looking hood that fully enclosed two lumenarcs, on the outside of the hood he had the two t5 fixtures. They where mounted somewhat like an outrigger cannoe, if you know what I mean by that.

I have used the T5 II Helios in the past. They work pretty good and they are disposable. But I did replace just the bulb at one time and it seemed to work fine. You have to pull the end cap really hard to get the bulb out, but after I replaced the bulb it fired write up. I replaced my T5-II with the T5-III and I like them much better. You can just replace the bulb on them and it seems to work much better. The only down fall is the housing is much large then the T5-1 and T5-II, so if space is an issue stick with the second gen. I believe they are in the works of a T5-III dual light unit and also a full VHO light bulb.

Back