Hello to every reefer here!

DannyTheReefGuy

Hello everyone! Im Daniil I have been working with reptiles and terrariums for a while but completely new to reefing and aquariums. I fell in love with this hobby from watching my collegues taking care of large reef tanks at my workplace and decided to try this hobby myself.I have decided to start my journey with 60 gallon tank .im completely open to suggestions on what fish would be the best for thats size of tank and what could be my first problems i should watch out for,best equipment etc.

Welcome to RC and the hobby!

A 60 gallon is a good size! Is it a reef ready tank?

Fish is honestly your option, but a lot of people also feel tank dimensions are important depending on the fish (such as tangs like to swim so a longer tank is better for them whereas clowns generally find a spot (be an anemone or not) they like and don’t usually travel far so a smaller tank is fine).

Anyway, equipment depends alot on what you want to keep. Lighting, any light will work for a fish only tank but more specialized lighting is needed for corals (this can be cheaper Chinese black boxes such as SmatFarm Viparspectra or Noopsyche to expensive brand name such as Radions, Neptune Sky, etc).

I always recommend a protein skimmer (I run reef octopus and have no other experience with other brands).

Patience is key in this hobby. When you first start, you will have what some people call the “ugly stages” of various algaes. It’s believed, and I feel it’s true, starting with dry rock makes the ugly stages worse than if you start with live rock (generally more expensive and lots of fun (but some possibly bad) hitchhikers to discover.

I know I painted with a broad brush but it all varies on your budget and what you want in the end.

Oh An expense to also consider is powerheads/wavemakers. Some run cheap Jebaos with no issues, others run Vortechs (hundreds of dollars per pump).

Welcome to RC and the hobby!

A 60 gallon is a good size! Is it a reef ready tank?

Fish is honestly your option, but a lot of people also feel tank dimensions are important depending on the fish (such as tangs like to swim so a longer tank is better for them whereas clowns generally find a spot (be an anemone or not) they like and don’t usually travel far so a smaller tank is fine).

Anyway, equipment depends alot on what you want to keep. Lighting, any light will work for a fish only tank but more specialized lighting is needed for corals (this can be cheaper Chinese black boxes such as SmatFarm Viparspectra or Noopsyche to expensive brand name such as Radions, Neptune Sky, etc).

I always recommend a protein skimmer (I run reef octopus and have no other experience with other brands).

Patience is key in this hobby. When you first start, you will have what some people call the “ugly stages” of various algaes. It’s believed, and I feel it’s true, starting with dry rock makes the ugly stages worse than if you start with live rock (generally more expensive and lots of fun (but some possibly bad) hitchhikers to discover.

I know I painted with a broad brush but it all varies on your budget and what you want in the end.

Oh An expense to also consider is powerheads/wavemakers. Some run cheap Jebaos with no issues, others run Vortechs (hundreds of dollars per pump).
My tank is still in the making so it will be reef ready ,i asked my coworker who is expert aquarist to help me to set it up ,he strongly advised aganist buying used tank and equipment ( i tried to get it cheaper )and he insisted that he will make me a brand new one since in this hobby quality is really important,but after the tank is reef ready im on my own (thats why im here )since i don't want to bother him because he is really busy all the time.

I’m 50/50 on new vs used tanks. I bought mine used but it was just a neglected set up. I don’t know if I’d buy a “dry” used tank as you just never know how long the tank was dry with the silicon drying out.

As for used equipment, I have no issue buying most used equipment provided I can get requested pics (such as impeller assembly on pumps for rust) or inspect it locally.

"Is it a reef ready tank?"............
I've never really understood this term in our hobby......

and welcome!

If there is a local fish club you might try a meeting or two to see if it holds your interest.
There is a list on the bottom of the home page here on RC.

Back