Hello

z28phil

Names phil, worked with reef aquariums for the past 4 years but just
HTML:
recently started my first personal tank. I had a parrot fish that died after 3 years. So I decided to hell with freshwater! Lol anyway its a 20 gal and I just got the rock/sand two clowns and a few cleaner crew members. I'm hoping if this goes well ill transfer everything over to a 65 I have sitting there. Wish me luck hopefully ill find all the answers I may need here.

Hi Phil, Welcome to Reef Central

If you have been working with reef tanks for the last four years, I won't worry too much about you, or that if the old tank is an old freshwater tank, copper could be a concern.

Never knew about the copper :( hope it won't cause future problems. I thuroughly washed out my tank before use, and I started with a brand new emperor 280. I bought two rocks that turned out to be not fully cured and was given two that had been in a tank for years. So I went through quite a bit of cycle around the 2nd week I put a pair of clowns. After that I continued to add cycle until the cycling process was finished and everything went down to normal. I addded a cleaner wrasse which I realized later wasn't that good of a choice cause I heard they die often. Going on a month now with no casualties. Praying it'll stay that way.

Got my salt around 22 on a refractometer... how much longerr do you all recomend until its safe to put easy to handle coral and what liquids should I add to like dr.g's? C balance? So many on the market and everyones results seem to vary...

Ok, before coral you should bring salinity up to 1.026 which is more normal for coral. Also purchase ALK, Calc, and Mag test kits to make sure your numbers are where they need to be.

Back