help, 40 gallon breeder glass type

ewauk

I've started a 180 DT and I'm hoping to use a 40 gallon breeder I got from petsmart, for its sump. It's their brand called grreat choice and I've called everyone I have access too, as far as what is available to me...anyway, I need to know if the sides are tempered or just the bottom and if anyone has had experience with that particular tank. Thanks for any input.

Have you called them directly? AFAIK, they do not make their own tanks....it would most likely them just putting their name on it, so they could point you maybe to the manufacturer.

I have not heard of any 40g breeder being tempered, none of the ones I have owned have been. But I have no experience with their name of tank, only All-Glass and marineland(which I ought from Petsmart)

Do a search for tempered glass test. There are you tube videos and articles on how to do it. You will need a pair od polarized glasses and an LCD screen to do the test. It is easy to tell the difference when you do it.

I know the 40g "Great Choice" breeder we got from Petsmart has a big orange sticker on the bottom that says it's tempered glass. I was assuming that was just the bottom, and the bottom glass does look a bit different from the glass on the sides. Anyway, you can probably google a bit and find out what others have done -- might be easier than the tests. I would think you should be fine, but always nice to have confirmation.

I bought a few tanks during the last sale. The 10, 20L and 40B have a sticker on the bottom reading 'tempered glass, do not drill'. The 55 sticker reads 'tempered glass on all panels do not drill'. Further research into the Aqueon site states the 10, 20, and 40 only have tempered bottom, 55 is fully tempered. Saying that, the 40 seems safe but I haven't drilled mine yet.

Just drilled mine, only the bottom is tempered.
I just successfully drilled three 45 mm holes into the side of a Great Choice 40 breeder from Petsmart.

Back