Help!!! A lesson learned about QT...

Your LFS should have given you SeaChem Stability to quickly cycle your hospital tank and add the fish right away....done.

Try that.

Amquel Plus (or similar product) is inexpensive and will detoxify the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in an emergency hospital tank and will not interfere with dosing meds.

Ok so I saw another guy at the lfs and he does not know what is going on with the tang, but has given me focus and kanaplex, as he thinks Porki is displaying more of a bacteria infection. I am going to try that for a bit before I put them back into the 30 gallon with stability and dozing with copper. One theory on the tang is that he wedges himself into a crevase in my live rock when sleeping... Maybe the marks are physical irritation or wounds???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15390417#post15390417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cjsparky
Ok so I saw another guy at the lfs and he does not know what is going on with the tang, but has given me focus and kanaplex, as he thinks Porki is displaying more of a bacteria infection. I am going to try that for a bit before I put them back into the 30 gallon with stability and dozing with copper. One theory on the tang is that he wedges himself into a crevase in my live rock when sleeping... Maybe the marks are physical irritation or wounds???

alot of times marks on the outside of the tang are systematic of something going on internally. Unfortunately there is no way of telling or treating:(

In any case here if were me I would remove all the fish from the display tank and let in run fishless for six weeks.
I would use both copper and hyposalination in the qt on the fish.
Just plan on doing a 20 per cent water change weekly until the hob takes over on the ammonia

I feel for you--but I do believe that you are dealing with something internal that came along with the fish you purchased

see if you can borrow a uv sterilzer from someone and run that on the display tank for awhile.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15396654#post15396654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cjsparky
Ugh looks like its time to take out my Live Rock again so I can net all these buggers!

CJ

I know a real pain--and I emphasize with you---but the main tank is going to have to remain fishless for at least 6 weeks----I believe that is a common consensus here.

Having thought about this more I would "suggest" you get a number of small plastic 1 gal tubs(a buck at the dollar store. Put one fish in there with some live rock in it and water from the tank. That should be enough to cycle the waste from one fish. Feed to the very mimimum.
Observe the fish in the buckets--if they show signs of disease then treat them in your hospital tank.
This way you tank is fishless and you have each fish isolated for observation. You may get lucky and not have to treat all your fish.

You will still have to do daily water changes in your plastic tubs. do not hyposalinate in the small tubs as the bacteria on the live rock will be challenged and that is what you are relying on to process the ammonia.
Similarity copper treatments will make the live rock nice ornaments for the garden.:D

I don't know what your fish have. and it might be more than one pathenogenic condition at this point.
On the tang ,it could be hyper melanization, which is a reaction to stings form corals or anemones including aiptasia if the fish sleeps next to them.It is not ich as best as I can tell. It could be lesions from flukes or the start of HHLE on the tang.

I would try a freshwater dip or formalin bath and look for flukes in the bucket. Then qt with an antibiotic treatment such as furan 2.

Check your water quality in your display.

Be sure to monitor ammonia closely in qt and provide some pvc pipes for hideouts and resting palces.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15397395#post15397395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
I don't know what your fish have. and it might be more than one pathenogenic condition at this point.
On the tang ,it could be hyper melanization, which is a reaction to stings form corals or anemones including aiptasia if the fish sleeps next to them.It is not ich as best as I can tell. It could be lesions from flukes or the start of HHLE on the tang.

I would try a freshwater dip or formalin bath and look for flukes in the bucket. Then qt with an antibiotic treatment such as furan 2.

Check your water quality in your display.

Be sure to monitor ammonia closely in qt and provide some pvc pipes for hideouts and resting palces.

Tom--this is why I suggested that they isolate each fish in case they have to treat differently.

Off to work now, I wound up buying a stand, heater, and air pump, and put the critters in the 30 gallon, after I lined the bottom with Live Rock (not ideal but its just a few chunks that I can pitch later) and plopped all the fish in. I then started another round of API General Cure, which seemed to be working well. If the API is not looking promising after a few days, I will make the trip out to the LFS (45-50 min drive) and get some copper to nuke em.

I wanted to nuke as a last resort, so fingers crossed the General Cure will work. Comeon 6 weeks!

CJ

P.S. I used the filter sans carbon filters, but instead I wrapped flter floss around the filter cages to help clear the water, and add square footage for the beneficial bacteria...I plan on slowly removing the LR rubble once the filter starts to grow some bacteria...I hope this is a good idea.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15398244#post15398244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cjsparky
Off to work now, I wound up buying a stand, heater, and air pump, and put the critters in the 30 gallon, after I lined the bottom with Live Rock (not ideal but its just a few chunks that I can pitch later) and plopped all the fish in. I then started another round of API General Cure, which seemed to be working well. If the API is not looking promising after a few days, I will make the trip out to the LFS (45-50 min drive) and get some copper to nuke em.

I wanted to nuke as a last resort, so fingers crossed the General Cure will work. Comeon 6 weeks!

CJ

P.S. I used the filter sans carbon filters, but instead I wrapped flter floss around the filter cages to help clear the water, and add square footage for the beneficial bacteria...I plan on slowly removing the LR rubble once the filter starts to grow some bacteria...I hope this is a good idea.

really keep track of the ammonia level and be prepared for a 10 or 15 gal water change
Good luck and keep us posted

Back