Help/Advice JBJ 45 rl modification

bwitchn

I set up my JBJ 45 rl a week ago. It is going thru the cycle. Ammonia now is at 50

I modified the filtration and chambers based on Marine Depot's Tank Hack video as follows:

Left chamber:
Aquamaxx FR-S Filter Media Reactor w/ROX 0.8 Carbon

Return Chamber/Middle:
Far Left near left chamber: Aquamaxx FR-S Filter media Reactor with Phosphate Out PRO FGO Gilter Media

Replaced both standard pumps for 1 Tunze Silence Recirculation Water Pump with Insert Y-Fitting

Far right of middle return chamber - Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater

Right Chamber:
In-Tank Basket:
---Bottom and Middle chambers of InTank basket - Pond Matrix
---Top chamber of InTank Basket - Filter Pad

I have a ten gallon reservoir with RO water in the cabinet with a Smart ATO micro installed. The sensor is in the middle chamber.

I will be adding a protein skimmer. I had ordered the Aquamaxx HOB-1 but I'm concerned with overflow so I'm thinking of switching it to the Aquamaxx WS-1 In-Sump skimmer. It will have to be placed middle return chamber.

Does anyone have any advice as to this set up? I was concerned whether the InTank basket should be in the left chamber and the reactors in the right chambers. But does it matter?

Also, I notice there is good water flow in to the left and right chambers and out to the display tank from the returns. But when I look in the back chambers, the middle chamber water doesn't appear to have much flow and looks like it is just stale not moving.

Any thoughts? Advice? Concerns? Comments on the above?

Really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Mary

On a side note is your ammonia really at 50 ppm? If so I would advise making a 90% water change. Ammonia levels over 8ppm significantly slow down the cycle and ideally you would like to get it down to 5ppm or lower.
Over in the nano tank forum there is a JBJ tank section where you will likely find information specific to your tank and can ask actual owners of your tank what modifications and equipment work best.

Back