help! Apartment getting sprayed for bugs. Reef tank in danger!

RoTTen2TheCore

Hey guys,
So my apartment will be sprayed for bed bugs (lucky me) and I was advised by the exterminator to cover my tank in plastic wrap so it is airtight so no poison gets in. The poison needs to dry for 8 hours till it's safe. Oh have a 50 gallon tank with no sump so it should be easy (just cover the top).
How long can a reef go with no air? There will be circulation. Anyone else have experience with this type of situation? If so, how did it go?

Can you run an air pump from OUTSIDE, like a window or something?

8 hours is a tad long with no air exchange at the surface.

I'd try to move the tank outside if the weather permits. 50 gallons shouldn't be hard to do. Empty it move it refilled real quick.

You can cover it with plastic drop cloth(2~3 mil) will be just fine. Turn off your skimmer if you have one. Keep a power head aimed up at the surface of your tank. 8 hours is not a big deal. Remember when livestock gets shipped to us, it is in bags 12-16 hours.

Yeah, but when it is shipped to us, isn't it packed with a high level of oxygen in the bag?

Outside is a definite no no. Minus 23 Celsius weather is probably more dangerous than the poison lol.

I think I'm going to plastic wrap it, run an air pump from outside and have 2 short air hoses on the opposite side to allow air to escape.

I have even heard of covering the aquarium with a wet towel, but I don't really trust that.

I had bed bugs, and my brother is in the business, he has the bed bug dog.
I had a 110G tank back then, and I sprayed my apartment my self once a month for about a year, I did use the strong chemicals the are illegal in most states to get if you are not an licensed exterminator. Any way I had no negative affects on my tank, I just did not spray next to it, but I did open the windows, because if not ill start to feel the chemical's on me, if it make you feel better cover it, but I never covered my tank. The chemicals that I used are: TEMPERMID & GENTROLL, I mix them up and its a crazy cocktail.
And also now in my new apartment that I have a 75g reef, I still spay every 3 months just to prevent from getting them again.

Back