Help Candy Cane!!!!!

tdp22

I got a nice piece of candy cane coral from my LFS. It looked great, but is now receeding into itself. I have other softies (Toadstool, buttons, zoos, hammer, and GSP) which are doing great. I don't have a great test kit, but was wondering if someone had an idea of what could be happening? Is there something special they require? Any info would be great.

i dont know if this is your case, but mine looked like it was not opening and nothing but a hard looking candy cane ball. They all after a few days split and look great now.

Just an idea, hope its the case

Is it near something else? Could it have been stung?

Where in the tank is it? They need medium light and medium flow.

Did you acclimate it for 30 minutes or so?

The caulastrea is not a softie ; it is a stony coral. It may need more light or be more sensitive to water quality than some of the corals you have. It may also be affected by toxins from the soft corals.

Where is the coral placed? Candy canes like medium flow - and medium lighting. What lighting are you running?

Not too uncommon for a new coral to close up in a tank - there can be many differences in levels between your tank and the LFS. At a minimum, you should provide some form of acclimation for the water so any large salinity differences can be decreased.

Many people recommend some medicated dip before adding as well - reduces risk of flatworm or red bug infestations. Some even have a coral quarantine tank.

Get some good test kits. While they have "soft" parts, frogspawn and candy canes are LPS (long polyp stony) corals and may require supplements of calcium and/or Strontium. They will also help you to detect a problem with chemistry before it affects your corals visibly.

GL

Thanks for the speedy responses!! It is in a med flow area with 4x65 P.C. on it (about 10" from top). My Hammer looks great and seems to be growing (as does everything else). I don't think it is splitting, because of others I have seen grow and split. There is one Button that moved within an inch of it. Could he be attacking? Should I move it? Thanks again.

Mine like to be in indirect light. I would try maybe moving it lower or in some kind of shaded area.

It never hurts to pull it and give it a dip in coral disinfectant. Candycanes and prone to brown jelly infections...hopefully that's not the case with yours.

yo candy cane is suffering from "whatchacallitwhoda-tang" disease. Thats where I have no clue WHY, BUT you should most def post some pics. It could be brown jelly...may be getting stung...may not be happy where its oriented. Show us sme pics

Might just try moving to the bottom of the tank for a bit - it may be in a bit of a shock from the light. You light may be brighter/darker or of a different spectrum than the LFS. Move it up slowly after things stabilize until you get to the point you like.

Back