Help! Complete Makeover

ZoMan

:rolleyes:

Hey Grim:

I currently have a 48 inch X 24 inch X 18 inch set up with Metal Halides over it. I have for 15 years been using magnum exterior filtration systems and I am trying to evolve. I have just bought, but not installed a new 72" 125 gal tank and the shop owner where I always go suggested t5 lighting. Is this sufficient for a tank of that height and size? I had seen other message boards on other sites ( I know, shame on me!) that suggested that T5 was not appropriate for 24 inch deep tanks. What sort of set up should I go with, knowing that I am starting from scratch.

BTW, I am using sump, protein skimmer, etc, in the new tank. No more old school, I just need to learn how to care for the new stuff!

Thanks! My biggest problem right now is getting the sump hooked up. I know that it has to be simple, but the sump came with no directions whatsoever, in a brand new box! I have the sump, two megaflow boxes (unopened), and an apropriate sized protein skimmer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15598745#post15598745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by addicted2reefin
t5s would be good. my buddy has a 150 bowfront which is a little deeper, with 12x39 watt t5s and has sps all over.

My supplier can't get 72's, so he is planning on getting 8 36's to retrofit into the canopy. What kind of bulb config should I use? Or should I go to the main thread on lighting for that question?

Bump....c'mon guys! I really need help as a newbie to the newer type salt tanks. A little advice would greatly be appreciated....or am I in the wrong forum?

The reason your getting few responses is much of this stuff has dedicated threads and a few google searches to show you at least have a plan will go a long way.

go to t5 q& a thread for light suggestions, grim is your man

plumbing assuming your tank is drilled you need bulkheads, plumbing to the megaflows to go to the sump, a return pump, and hose or more plumbing to go back to display.. either over the top or through another bulkhead

good luck!

Back