help! don't know what to do with coral.

frh674

I have a flower pot coral (goniopora green). I've had it for around 5 or 6 months now.. the coral itself is doing fine, but heres the problem.

theres a skinny worm living on it... Ive left it alone now for a couple months. but today I seen the worm stick it's head inside one the the corals mouths.... ???? it kind of looks like a bristle worm but it's not smooth it has like... an armored skin with single(not brush like, with normal bristle worms) green bristles sticking out

how do I get rid of it...

I'm scared to grab it.. should I use gloves or something????

I'm going to try and get a picture of it.. I'll post it if I get a good one

thats what I thought too... if I break it.. theres 2 :|.. Im uploading pictures in a few minutes

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00101.jpg
<-- real bristle worm under xenia... dont care about him....

how do I remove that other one on my flowerpot!

could you suck it off with a turkey baster? OR Does it so interest in food? if it does you could set a trap right next to the base of the goniopora. Good luck I don’t trust anything I can’t id or get id….

See if this works, next time you see it, attach a little piece of shrimp at the end of a string and place it next to the coral, allow the worm to tangle arround the shrimp and start feeding on it, pull the string out slowly and place your thin net under the worm and scoop it out.

the last pic is defintly a bristle worm ... i usually use tweezres just be careful ;) ... oh yeah watch out my gf touched a bristle with her bare hands and it made her cry:rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9859353#post9859353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illal
the last pic is defintly a bristle worm ... i usually use tweezres just be careful

Just curious, why would you take them out. I have read nothing that indicates they are bad for the tank. Yeah they may sting us a little, but I see them as part of a clean up crew?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9859353#post9859353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illal
the last pic is defintly a bristle worm ... i usually use tweezres just be careful ;) ... oh yeah watch out my gf touched a bristle with her bare hands and it made her cry:rollface:

My bristleworms in my nano love to sit in a patch of zoanthids, so when I went to frag the zoo colony, I grabbed the whole colony, and fragged it apart suffering through the pain of those damned stingers. Afterward I just kind of joked about it with the guy who I was fragging it for, and then when he left, I went and got tweezers and tweezed those stupid little sharp bristles out. Not very pleasant, but certainly takes more than that to get me to cry :p

I wasn't removing the bristle worm, he stayed I was just making a comparison between the two so you could tell the apart.

here are some more picture of the worm once I removed it.

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00013-1.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

Back