Help feeding Antennarius maculatus!

Mentat

Got me a baby (1.25 in. tip to tip) frogfish, Antennarius maculatus, yesterday and it's currently in a plastic reptile breeding box inside one of my QT tanks. This AM went through 4 small gut-loaded live ghost shrimp (1/2 to 3/4) in. pretty quick. Even with a nicely rounded belly, it was sizing-up with great interest the gobies outside his cage :frog:.

Is that amount of food good or should I feed less or more? Also, every how often should I feed it (daily, every other day, weekly)? Plan is to get him eating for a week or so and then start working toward taking frozen following steps discussed by Reene in other threads. Currently reading "The Frogfish Files" http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613227&highlight=frogfish; but that is a huge thread and would appreciate if members with frogfish experience share their thoughts. Thank you!

pix, or it didn't happen...hehe

depending on how much you feed the fish, 2 or 3 times a week is PLENTY. with the meal you mentioned, twice is fine.

best of luck with the little guy...

pix, or it didn't happen...hehe

depending on how much you feed the fish, 2 or 3 times a week is PLENTY. with the meal you mentioned, twice is fine.

best of luck with the little guy...
Thanks for info Greg, you and Renee have helped a lot of members here who keep the smaller & odd predators. During my search (forums new engine is better) found this thread with more feeding info http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717679. Also, looking forward to read Renee's article and the monster thread "The Frogfish Files."

Antenita's (name all my fish :rolleyes:) pix??? Wow after seen your fish photos, mine are so amateur. Still, took some this afternoon and here they are. Not to bad considering I'm using a camera mounted flash and that going through glass and plastic, had to use manual focusing.

Antenita's cage has worked out great, with a large feeding trap door on top (with flash).

DSC_0015.jpg

Favorite hanging out place, under a fake anemone or something like that (with flash).

DSC_0003.jpg

Close up of little one (bit over an inch tip to tip), can see details of fishing lure and big mouth (with flash).

DSC_0019.jpg

No flash to appreciate Antenita's true coloration.

DSC_0006.jpg

Now to wait a few days and start feeding training.

Back