HELP, fish melting...

downhillbiker

So I need help guys. I just got a new blond naso last week and the top fin appears to be "melting" away and there is white fleshy looking stuff underneath. The fish also has a couple white spots on it, but not ich, much bigger. They are like chunks of calcium chloride on the side of it's body, a couple on each side.

I figure I am going to lose the fish, anyone have thoughts?

1130091912.jpg

1130091915.jpg

Sounds like Fin Rot, sorry I don't know how to cure it but I recommend putting it into your QT tank for now.

looks like fin rot or a fungal infection, my cardenal has fin rot and i will be putting him im my QT tonight

it looks like Lymphocystis. If it is, it should go away on its own within a couple of weeks, given good water quality.

I dont think it is fin rot, that is based on water quality, and my water is perfect. I also have many other fish in the tank showing no signs of "rot".

The fish is new, and did get picked on for a few hours, the first day, but since then it hasn't really been bugged.

I thought Lymphocystis, but it is spreading fast, and I dont think that is a typical trait for this disease. I am watching closely. Tomorrow I intend to do a SW+Methelene Blue dip and then put the fish in QT.

maybe try a freshwater dip... i had something like this on my clowns... i dont think it was the same... on the dominant clown it went away on its own, and one the smaller one we put it in a bag of dechlorinated freshwater for... id say around 10 mins... it was gone by the next day

maybe try a freshwater dip... i had something like this on my clowns... i dont think it was the same... on the dominant clown it went away on its own, and one the smaller one we put it in a bag of dechlorinated freshwater for... id say around 10 mins... it was gone by the next day

jesus! no! For gods sake why do people do this? for 10 mins?

1. Youll stress an already stressed fish beyond belief.( go get very sick, and then stick your head in a bottle filled with argon, see how you do)

and

2. There are QT medications for this that are far less stressful. Why not use them?

Pull the fish, Put it in a QT tank, Medicate it(There is a medication, starts with an M, cant for the life of me remeber the name right now. myacyn maybe?)

Watch it for a while and watch for improvement.

let it completly heal before introducing it into the tank and then do so at lights out. think about keeping the lights out for the next day as well.

Doesn't look like an external parasitic infection, which is the only thing a FWD helps. That tank looks pretty big (hopefully with your beautiful tang selection), and catching your Naso might overstress it should the process take too long.

If you can't catch it, load the sucker up with tons of nori if you aren't already. Your naso doesn't look emaciated but the extra energy and vitamins would greatly help. Maybe soak some in GarlicGuard for an extra immune boost. Just watch your WQ with the extra feeding.

IMO there is no such thing as too much nori when it comes to tangs.

Back