help!! flame angel in overflow

fishyness

ok that sounded really stupid my post duh!!!! I was only willing to pull off the the top pipe NOT remove the whole thing no no no anything else?

tkeracer619

Premium Member
take your net and bend it so it fits into the hole. You can get him. It will bend back (mostly) when your done.

EllieSuz

Premium Member
I don't know about yours, but my standpipe is made to fit so it's removable. As long as your water level in the sump is low enough to take all the water from the overflow, this suggestion is a valid one. Just drain some of your sump water into a bucket and pump it back in the sump when you've caught the fish. I had a clown in my overflow once and I bent the smallest net to fit between the standpipe and return pipe and managed to catch him two days in a row. Then I rigged up a guard to keep fish out of there. Here's a picture:

OverflowGrate.jpg

BeloitReef

Sorry to hijack this but EllieSuz, where did you get the plastic white screen that you have around your overflows? I have been looking for something like that for a month now and have been unsuccessful.

BeloitReef

EllieSuz

Premium Member
I don't know what it's called, but you can get it at any craft or sewing store. I got mine in the craft department at Walmart. It comes in two sizes. I remove it weekly when I do a water change and scrub it with a stiff brush. Then I just weave it around the teeth on the overflow. I forgot to put it back on one night and ended up with a Starry Blenny in the filter sock. Another time I thought I really didn't need it anymore and ended up with a Sexy Shrimp in the sump. So, it really works!

Playa-1

In Memoriam
I had a fish or two do that before I covered my overflow. The way I got them out was to put a long handle net in the overflow. I put in all the way on the bottom and also my Hand. I slowly raised the net and my hand at the same time. Basically I was attempting to net the fish or if possible scoop it up with my hand and release it into the DT. Well the fish just avoided my hand and the net and hopped over the overflow back into the tank. It was much easier then I had anticipated.

sedor

I still don't understand why you don't just turn your return pump off, pull your standpipe out of the bulkhead with bucket underneath and just the fish fall down into the bucket where you can pour him back into the tank. Only problem is next thing you know all your fish will be in the overflow waiting for the rollercoaster.

68sting

Leave the a-hole in there. He'll just eat all your lps anyway. Of coarse I'm jaded if you can tell. lol

tdgates

I had a pinkbar goby in my overflow. Pulled the standpipe out and flushed it to the sump which was 14ft into the basement. That was 2 years ago and he's still going strong. I just had my wife wait by the drain with a net and wa-la!

EllieSuz

Premium Member
If you use this stuff to guard your overflow, be sure to clean it periodically. When it's new it doesn't impede flow at all, but it will gunk up and I notice if I let that happen the water level in my tank rises. If you make it a part of your routine maintenance, you'll be fine. I just hold it under tap water and clean it with a stiff bristled brush.