Help Help!!

gabegmonkey

I'm setting up a 55 gallon at my work. Problem is that there's about one inch of space behind the tank so HOB is out. I need to set it up so that I can use a skimmer...

That said: The sump beneath is tiny and has bio balls taking up 3/4 of it.

Should I take out the Bio balls? To use the larger section for the sump pump and the smaller to put a skimmer in?

Get rid of those bio balls as quickly as you can.

BTW, using a more specific title will get more responces.

Edward

That's what I was thinking since everyone here is always saying they turn into "nitrate factories"...

I thought Help Help might make more people at least view it...

any inherent problems with using the larger side for my pump? It is the side where the water enters the sump... am I going to have problems with bubbles/microbubbles?

So the sump has 2 sections, one large one small seperated by a bubble trap or baffle? Hmm.... preferably your inlet is seperated from the return area to stop bubbles, preferably the skimmer is the same for the same reason, and preferably your pump is in a largish area so it doesn't run dry when there's evaporation... can your skimmer fit comfortably in the smaller section with the intake as well? The skimmer will need to be between the intake and return or it will clean the same small amount of water over and over.

Edward

I guess if I'm taking out all the bio balls I could cut out a section of the top piece and put the skimmer on the larger side right? and keep the pump on the small side past the baffles... and then I'd be skimming fresh water as it flows in and is drawn into the pump right?

Yup that should work. Pretty much anything that keeps the skimmer between the in and out will work ;']

Edward

Back